Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Buying A Computer Online

BEJ

I would go try Walmart.

You would get a good system and have a local site to retun it to just in case of problems.

Better would be a local shop where the folks could build one for you.

A shop build has off the shelf parts. This makes future repair or up grades easy.

Karl

Just a few thoughts and considerations for you to ponder here. I am at the present time running on a computer that I bought online from a company called 3btech I believe. They can be found in the yahoo shopping section of computers by doing a search for something such as "barebones computers". While the pricing is often cheaper when buying a computer on line there are factors one must consider when doing so. First off, let me start by saying that I am not flaming the company I purchased from or any other, but read on. Upon receiving my system the first problem I encountered was a bad memory dimm. This required sending the memory back for replacement at my shipping cost, waiting for them to test it to determine if they could confirm it to be bad, then waiting on the new one to be shipped back. Online companies almost never pay return shipping and the down time is not pleasant. Secondly in about eight months the power supply failed. Yes, I could have shipped it back and they might have warrantied it, but again down time and shipping weighed heavily into the decision to just buy a replacement power supply and install it myself. Not having local service and support is a definate consideration in purchasing a computer. If you purchase onine from someplace like dell you can get in house service on the system, but this too comes at a price. Having said all this, I honestly believe that if you have local suppliers that can sell you a system at a reasonable price and offer local support on the said system you are miles ahead to do so. The initial cost will be more, but you are in fact not only buying a computer but by having the support close at hand you are also buying piece of mind. Your mileage may very and this is simply my humble opinion. Having built computers as a livelihood for a time, repairs are not that big of an issue for me, but if you lack the knowledge of being able to diagnose and repair then I would opt for the local purchase. I am not suggesting that you do lack this knowledge, as I do not know, but only saying it is something to be considered by any potential buyers. swamp_thing

I don't know if you have and Office Depot ,or Circuit City, or CompUSA near you, but this time if year the specials start to come out. Especially the day after Thanksgiving. Recently here, we have had some really good deals, even if they are a rebate item, and you have to wait for your money back.

I've managed to score a good deal on Ebay on one, then turned around and got burned on one. The last one I found at a good price was a local pawn shop. I found it for a neighbor and she is very happy with it.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I called a local "geek" shop and I'm seriously looking into upgrading rather than purchasing new. I really like my system except it's old and I'm afraid the hard drive, or some other critical component, might let go and leave me stranded. I do back up files I don't want to lose, but still, a big crash is a bear to go through. So, I think I'll stick with W98, upgrade the MB, processor, hard drive, and stick in a new power supply. I already put a burner in the old girl last year.

I hear Microsoft is coming out with a new operating system next year, so think I'll see if I can get another couple of years out of the one I have.

Any further thoughts or suggestions ??

A couple of things to consider are this, if you upgrade the motherboard, you will most likely have to upgrade to newer memory as well. Most of the boards in the last two or three years have seen numerous changes in the memory they use. Also make sure the motherboard is not built for windows xp only and will run ok on 98. When making the upgrades you are refering to you could probably do just as well or maybe even a bit better by getting a barebones system with a new hard drive. Of course, it would include the case, power supply, processor and probably floppy drive and memory already. Just check your options and see what will be the best, most economical way for you to go. swamp_thing

Upgrading isn't worth it. A new case is $50 or much less. Once you upgrade the guts, throw in the extra 50 and you have a new machine.

Yeah, a Green Machine at Wal*Mart is a very good way to go. Many of my friends (in the IT field) just by one of those. Also, word on the street (radio, actually) is that Wally World will have a HP laptop on sale for $399 on Black Friday.

Dr.Hess

A Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, or (shudder) Emachine all make affordable computers if you shop around. I could not build you the same system for their prices. Your local geek shop can probably build you a box, operating system included, for 200-400 dollars since you aleady have a monitor, keyboard, etc, which might be a better deal if you ever need it serviced. And if you buy local, you are supporting a local business, and hopefully they will support you with a great pc and customer support.

Jimro

Buying it from a local builder may be fine, but are you going to get followup on its performance?

Some shops who build them use the cheapest components possible, and what you get is a real piece of schitt (in many cases).

fritz