Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need help to answer an e-mail

ShooterTom

My Wifes uncle sent me this email about some sort of .22 ammo ive never heard of anything like it? Has anyone here?

"Hi Tom. How you guys doing out there in the state of Texas. I need some info if you can. What do you know about the 22 cal hi vel round. They cost two times what a 22 LR costs, but as I read it has more knock down than a 25 or 32 cal round,but not as much as a 9 mm round. My Berretta 92 F is a little big to CCW.

Anything you can give would help."

Thanks Tom

Tell him a .22lr no matter what ammo ain't a carry gun!

You can get a decent deal on a Kel-Tec pistol in .380 or .32 Auto.

I know a policeman that keeps one in his back pocket most of the time.

If money is a problem, tell 'em to keep looking. But please don't compromise and try and use a 22lr. It won't stop a determined body before its too late...

biggrin.gif agreed on the .22 carry issue. Money is not the issue with him. I belive what it is He has health problems and is in alot of pain most of the time and has range of motion issues. Although he is to proud to admit it. I think what he is after is light to no recoil. I hadn't heard of any .22 ammo like he discribed so I told him id ask around.

Thanks Tom

Tom,I wonder if he's thinking about stingers or vipers,something like that.They were advertized as being nearly twice the velosity when they first came out.It'd be great if you could get him here for a visit this month to catch the Dallas Gunshow.There will be several dealers with CZ 50'S that are 9x18,small,and in good condition for around 160.00,so you could probably find them in Shotgun News for 120.00.They are about the size of my Pa63,and it has no recoil.My wife shoots mine,and she's a pansy when it comes to recoil.Jerry

Tom,

If that is the issue then a .22lr that he can shoot is better than somethng he cannot. And yes, I agree that he is likely talking about stingers, etc. Maybe you could steer him toward a 22 mag if one is made in decent carry gun.

I bet an sp101 in .22lr could be easily rechambered to 22 mag. That would be preferable to me to a .380.

I just have to interject a few points here fella's.

#1 Before 9mm semi-autos became popular with drug dealers in the mid-eighties, more people were killed annually in the U.S. with .22's than all other firearms combined! No it's not something I'd WANT to be armed with in a gunfight, but then few CCW situations will ever actually BE a gunfight. Read on for explanation...

#2 In the vast majority of situations where a firearm is successfully used to defend ones self or others, no shots are ever fired. Most social predators are cowards who will either run or comply at the sight of ANY gun unexpectedly produced by what they expected to be an easy mark.

#3 If the gun is ever actually fired in a defensive situation, again, most thieves, rapists and robbers are cowards and not likely to stick around after ANY wound however non-life threatening it is.

#4 There are exceptions to every rule! Its a personal decision based on weighing the odds and taking a calculated risk whether you have enough gun or surplus ammo - ever.

The 380 is a good option for light recoil.

Remember, pistols don't shock the system the way a rifle will, so having a larger diameter bullet disturbs more tissue, makes bigger holes, and bigger holes bleed more.

I'd carry a 380 ACP over a .22 any day of the week.

Jimro

I'd carry a 380 ACP over a .22 any day of the week.

Jimro

6349[/snapback]

22 lr, yes, 22 mag, no. Give me the mag. A buddy and I once shot a bunch of bricks with a .380 and .22 mag. The mag disintegrated the bricks while the .380 would rarely even topple them. I was suitably impressed with the 22 mag. Although, I like my Makarov and would carry it if I could in certain circumstances.

Since the question was about .22 ammo, this is the stuff to use for the biggest shock, it fragments into three parts upon impact----

user posted image

fritz

I like my Makarov and would carry it if I could in certain circumstances.

Is that the Makarov in the 9x18 chambering?

I once had to empty the magazine on a coon, and then reload, before he stopped snarling. This was with a Makarov 9x18.

A .22 LR would have done him in quicker.

I guess it depends on what you are shooting at. A coon is a tough animal to put down, this has been documented here before.

I wouldn't carry a .22 though either. A 9mm compact makes more sense. With the wide range of hot loads for them, I would trust it.

Considering my big Colt .45 is a bit too much to conceal.

fritz

Guest Unregistered guest

That Aguila stuff is great IF you have a 1 in 5 twist on your rifling. I have scads of the ammo, and have shot scads. With relatively poor results. On my list of occasional ways to waste time, I go looking for a barrel insert with that twist.

I doubt that I will find it What I might do is have a barrel relined and then rifled. All at great cost for little good reason.

If it gets where you want it, it delivers quite a bit of energy as it is, not uncommonly, sideways upon arrival.

The big change in CCW issues the past 20-30 years, is the possibility of faceing a germ stoned on narcotics. Narcotics when used legitimatly, kill or numb pain. Shooting a drugged up perp with a 22 unless it is a face shot, is like pissing on a housefire. Shock value is meaningless unless a stoned attacker is stopped with a terminal wound channel or hit with sufficent knock-down power to bring him/her to the ground. Any of you that has ever been involved in a fistfight with or as a drunk know the pain level and normal fear greatly decreases.

The big change in CCW issues the past 20-30 years, is the possibility of faceing a germ stoned on narcotics. Narcotics when used legitimatly, kill or numb pain. Shooting a drugged up perp with a 22 unless it is a face shot, is like pissing on a housefire. Shock value is meaningless unless a stoned attacker is stopped with a terminal wound channel or hit with sufficent knock-down power to bring him/her to the ground. Any of you that has ever been involved in a fistfight with or as a drunk know the pain level and normal fear greatly decreases.

6409[/snapback]

That's all very well & true. A friend and I got the shite beat out of us by a skinny 6ft 150 lb punk on pcp. It took six 250 lb "bouncers" to get hime under control. Truth be told, they never did actually get him under control, but they did manage to cause him to leave the area. The one security guard with a gun was hiding. I wante dto kick his ass.

Given my druthers I'd carry my Colt Commander in .38 super or my .45 acp. However, as this thread demonstrates, some are physically not able to use more powerful weapons. So, despite my preferences, in this situation I say use the most powerful weapon you can field effectively, even if it only a .22lr. At least he will be hurting when he comes down.