Military Firearm Restoration Corner

R Famage 1957

Johns98s

I bought a rifle kit from Springfield Sporters a number of years ago. It consists of a receiver, barrel, and bare bolt. All parts seem to be unused. The bolt is unmarked except for what appears to be a tiny flag under the handle lug. The barrel is 23 1/4", nicely finished, and the only marking is what looks like a tiny crown. The receiver ring has a Colombian crest, serial #F .302xx (left), and R Famage and 1957 (right).

It has the .30-06 ring notch. The left guide rail has been scrubbed. I see no proof marks under ihe receiver. Can anyone tell me something about these parts?

Thanks, John

What is "the 30-06 ring notch"? I take it that the whole thing is large ring, right?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Colombians never manufactured Mauser receivers. So, if it is a 1957 manufacture, that would put it at FN, if I had to GUESS, because I'm not sure who else was still making them by then. I think the Spanish were done with them by then. And it would be a small ring if it was Spanish. You might google up Mauser proof marks and try to match up the flag and crown.

Pictures would be a big help.

My guess is a Steyr Model 1912 Columbian Mauser Refurbished in 1957 by R. Famage (Reformado Fabrica de Materials de Guerra) in Bogota, Columbia to 30-06. Original rifle was in 7x57mm

Nothing on the left rail?

Don't know if this is of any use. This is what my 06 Mauser says on the side of the receiver. FABRICA DE ITAJUBA-BRASIL. On the opposite side of the receiver MOD. 08/34 .30. I don't recognize the crest. I picked it up in a trade, getting the Mauser and a 1917 Eddystone both in original configuration. I gave up a 6.5 and 7.7 Jap. When we swapped he claimed the Mauser was Colombian but the "Brasil" leads me to believe it is Brazil. If I'm not mistaken I thought Brazil adopted the 7X57. Time permitting I'll try and get a clear sunlight photo of the crest tomorrow.

Sorry Johns not meaning to change the gist of this thread. I did some net research on mine. Since I started on mine I'll go ahead and finish. After some net research discovered mine is a Model 08/40 Brazilian. Best I can tell it is not FN and most likely BRNO. Depending on where I read it. It was originally issued as a 7X57. At the end of WW2 Brazil converted it to 30/06. I'm not sure if it was originally issued with the turned down bolt or done later. Some sources say it was re-barreled others are saying re-bored and chambered to 06. After trading for it all I've done with it is put an 06 headspace gauge in it. I thought the trader was BS-ing me and thought it was an 8MM. The trader was wrong telling me it was Colombian.

This thread sparked my curiosity. Health permitting and I make it to the range this week. I'll drag it along to see how it shoots. After a two week hiatus from physical therapy and steroid injections into my spine. Don't know if I'm up to it. Felt like I just lost a fist fight after leaving therapy this morning. Fricking dog woke me up about 4:00AM barking at a cat fight. Time for a nap!!