Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The world is too convenient...

MorgansBoss

Sometimes I think technology is making our lives too easy. My son doesn't hunt much, he enjoys it but lives a busy life sad.gif .

We made arrangements earlier this week to go squirrel hunting together Saturday so I just bought his license for him... sitting right here in this chair! Its the same place I do most of my shopping anymore. Now that I think of it I do a whole lot of socializing here as well - RIGHT HERE at MFRC! Adds a whole new meaning to the old saying - "you need to get out more."

MorgansBoss

You don't say in your bio where you are from, but here in Texas we can purchase a license online (albeit it with a $5 fee added).

I am not sure if you can pay for your citations online here in Texas, but I guess if they can sell you the license online, you can pay the fine onlne.

Depends on whether they will honor your credit card. It may have exceeded its limit (for the fine).

Whatever you do, don't shoot a whooping crane! You will spend the rest of your years behind those bars (where you work, no?)

Hope I didn't get you confused with another member.

fritz

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

I'm in western Maryland Fritz. We don't have whooping cranes but over on the eastern shore, around Chesapeake bay there are a lot of tundra swans. Years ago when I used to hunt geese down there the swans were always present but off limits. One old farmer we leased from once advised - " if you feel like you absolutely just have to take a shot at one of them swans, for goodness sakes shoot a gray one (young of the year). You can cook them old ones all day and wont even make gravy."

MorgansBoss --

I agree about the "convenience" of online access to some services.

One of my multitudinous cousins wrote to me the other day, sending me a link to her personal blog, which, I informed her that I may or may not visit. This cousin's sister, the computer guru of the family, set up the blog, so her sister ended up feeling somewhat obligated to use it. Anyway, when my newly-bloggical cousin wrote to me she was essentially complaining that this was the next "thing" to reduce human interaction. I agreed with her too.

My cousin rhetorically asked how much further it might go. I said that now that email has replaced letters and telephone calls, and blogs are an everyday version of the classic "holiday letter", only far more tedious, the only other place we can go from here is to have USB ports installed in our heads, so that we can "download" our thoughts to our blogs directly, thereby making even typing completely superfluous!

I'm looking forward to it! blink.gif

Perhaps the single most refreshing thing about my first trip to Africa was the simplicity of life. Not "simplicity" in the literal sense - it's actually much more difficult - but there is no 24 hour WalMart to go get whatever you want when you want it. You actually have to make plans to go to the store and if you forget some necessity it can be a long wait until the next trip. While there was electric, phone, and even internet service, evenings spent sitting around talking were much more pleasant then sitting around the TV with it's limited reception.

On my last trip it was a disappointment to find virtually everyone carries a cell phone. People walk along the road without shoes... talking on the phone. Once while I waited behind with the trackers while my wife and PH stalked an animal, the trackers each hand-rolled a cigarette then got their phones out. sad.gif Satellite TV is in most bush homes and families that even recently spent evenings entertaining each other, now sit as hypnotized by pointless trash in the middle of nowhere as we do here at home.

On the other hand, if it weren't for all this technology I wouldn't know you folks! wink.gif

MB,The thing that most impressed me was the lack of 7-11 type convienence stores,soda and candy machines,and like you,the cell phone thing.I saw little black kids in school uniforms with phones on their belt.A man told me their govt. owns the phone service,and it's about 25.00 a year per family,with the poor getting a price break,and no such thing as long distance charges with calls made in SA.They have area codes,but it doesn't cost anything to call from one area code to another.Oh ya,no one drinks Cokes from a can without a straw,and Coke was all I saw,but drink Castle beer straight from the can.Jerry

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

I've checked EVERYWHERE and I do mean everywhere in the states. Castle Lager is not imported - by anyone! I think it has to do with SAB owning Miller. After spending all that money to buy a U.S brewery, why put it out of business by importing their own beer? biggrin.gif

What I really find strange is that South Africans usually drink Budweiser when in The States!