Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Funny how things don't get on the news

swamp_thing

In regards to the post I made about Nagin and the phony police numbers, someone had ask me for a link. When I did a search on the net for a news article in such places as fox news, cnn and such I could find nothing. This has continued to bother me so I did some more searching. Funny, I found the article on a Russian news site, and they state they got the story from Fox news. Soooo, I ask, why would our new agencies not want this known. Could it be that it might make it seem bad to send billions more to a corrupt city so they can swindle it away like the wages paid by the federal government for officers that don't exist? You be the judge. swamp_thing

Aw now swamp thing,

This is New Orleans (the Big Easy) you are talking of.

Anything is possible there!

fritz

You got me there fritz. I should probably just let this all go, but I have a hard time with the entire situation. Even more troubling to me is the way we are fed only what the news media wants us to know. Heck, we are all well aware that the Big Easy ain't no place to be if you dislike corruption or value life and limb so why should we be protected from it by the news? Let's get the facts out and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe we could pump some water back in for them. swamp_thing

When I first heard of it there was a post on another site that was rather lengthly and it had aparently been on some news reports breifly. The morning after I originally posted it I did a search of our news sites and presto, no reports. Then yesterday I did another longer search and found the article with the link that I posted. You will note that they state they got their story from FoxNews. Whether it is to be believed or not I will leave to the reader. I for one have no reason to believe that such a story would not be quickly be hushed up. You must admit when NO is begging for huge sums of money it would not be in their best interest to have such news publicly displayed. It wouldn't look so good for our own government to continue to feed the thieves either. I guess the question here in my mind is can anyone disprove it? No offense intended, just how I look at the situation as a whole. swamp_thing

So.

Let me waste a little time here.

How, swamp_thing, do you think the mayor of NO would be able to hush up a story that big?

Bribes?

Threats?

Have you not noticed that the media are in general sharks, and the blurb you posted has enough vulnerable thrashing and blood to attract a school of sharks?

Do you not think that the Feds would be more than happy to prosecute the Mayor of NO, and thus take pressure off FEMA's totally incompetent response to the tragedy?

If a prosecutor can go, for instance, into the office of the Vice President's Chief of Staff, don't you think they can also go into the office of the Mayor of New Orleans?

If, for instance, the President's number one advisor, Karl Rove, can be subpoenaed to testify before a Federal Grand Jury--four times!!!--the same would not happen for the Mayor of New Orleans?

If there were any truth to this story at all, it would be flying headlines on your morning daily, and leading the national TV news.

It's just too juicy a story to hide.

Nope.

Look, swamp_thing. This is just the kind of story Fox News loves. Were there any truth to it, it would still be playing.

It's a free country, swamp_thing. Believe what you will.

But this is clearly Faith Based current affairs.

flaco

You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think.

OK FLACO, I'll bite. Maybe it is a bunch of bull and maybe it is not. Are you so narrow minded as to think that there are not many things that go on daily that are pulled from the news? I suppose that it very well would make front page news all over the nation, especially if it served a purpose for those that control the media to begin with. I only posted what I read and voiced an opinion as to the fact that I am not fond of the news covering only what they want us to hear. Example, how many news stories do you see about how well things are progressing in Irag? Damn few would be the answer. Now how many do you see about how terrible it is and how we need to pull our troops out? Many on a daily basis. And why do you suppose that is. It's called politics and the media being pretty much Democratically controlled uses it to it's advantage each and every day. Is the story real? Your guess is as good as mine. You go on believing as you wish and I will do the same. One last thought, maybe it might be that if this was reported the immediate screams of racial predjudice would be enormous. If the end of your post was intended as name calling then so be it. Having had a moment to reconsider my response I have chosen to remove that from my response.

swamp_thing

My friend, if you don't think the media is selective in what it will publish, try this.

Some guys in a bar kill a fag for making an advance and it is all over the news.

Some fags kidnap rape and torture a 13 year old boy to death and it gets one or two lines on the Druge report..cannot stir up anti gay feeling you know.

That would not be liberal.

Karl

Do you not think that the Feds would be more than happy to prosecute the Mayor of NO, and thus take pressure off FEMA's totally incompetent response to the tragedy?

The people who voted for the mayor of New Orleans vote in national elections (you know, the federal ones).

FEMA does not vote (except for the few officials).

Are you seeing a reason for not making a big deal about the mayor now (by the Feds)?

fritz

Guest Guest_MorgansBoss_*

I don't really want to get into arguing the validity (or not) of this "report" but there are several knowns that should be considered. Fox (as well as other news agencies) has previously reported stories that they later found to be... "less than acurate" and unceremoniously pulled the story. No apology, no explaination, just stoped running it every fifteen minutes. Sound familiar?

When I was a young man during the height of the cold war, the American media regularly ran stories about things happening in Russia (as well as other countries) and "reported" how the story wasn't being reported to the public in the place where it happened as evidence of how they didn't have a "free press" like us. Years later I learned that the same thing happened in Russia (and other countries). They would have extensive stories about racial incidents in the U.S. for instance, that only got slight mention, if at all here at home. There was enough coverage that I was familiar with the incident and KNEW IT ACTULLY HAPPENED, but whether Pravda had embelished their version or not I can't say. The point is this - just because it's in the paper, ANY PAPER, don't make it so. I seldom read the local paper anymore. I tell people, "I don't believe anything in it but the obituaries and even then I'd call the funeral home before sending flowers."

New Orleans has a long history of corruption, particularly the NOPD. I can't honestly say its worse than any other "big city" department, but they don't have a very good reputation in this reguard. At one time (about fifteen years ago) the average age of N.O. police officers was something like 23. Consequently, with so many unexperienced officers the "normal" situation was even worse for years. This could explain the "signing bonus offered "experienced" cops, but more than likely it was the same as any other police agency - you save much more than $5,000 if you don't have to train them!

If it is true, and the feds make a fuss its certain the Jessie Jackson cadre would announce it to be "the man, picking on a brother to divert attention" again and yes, the mainstream media would likely make more of that than the actual controversy. However I (like someone else pointed out) have a hard time believing the feds would simply turn their back on such a huge scam. Handle it quietly maybe, but not just ignore it.

Sooooo, is it true and a cover-up or did Fox jump the gun and run the story before validating it? Who knows. We'll probably never find out for sure but it will certainly take on a life of its own.