Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Frankenstien Scores....

Pedestal

This is a very poor pic of the "basketrack" 8pt I took opening day with "Frankenstien". Load was my own handload. I did order a box of the Hornady 7.65, but it shot groups almost twice as large as my handloads. This was a fun and -relatively- cheap project. The little rifle handles quite well.

Range was only about 50 yards, and the bullet went all the way through. Entrance just behind the front shoulder, exit through the offside shoulder, ranging down a bit.

user posted image

I bet that was very satisfying - accomplishment and apetite-wise.  Pix of Frankenstein would be appreciated.  What are your handloads, and what kind of groups do you get with them?

6809[/snapback]

Here's a pic of Frankenstein, loads are 43grs of IMR 4895 behind the Hornady 150gr.

user posted image

And here's a typical target...

user posted image

What kind of stock is that?

6834[/snapback]

It's a much modified Ramline, I picked up used a couple of years ago. First, I chopped about 2" out of the forearm. The inside of the forearm was filled some with styrofoam strips, an aluminum rod was set in, and the whole barrel channel then glassed with Acragel. An aluminum pillar was made for the rear action screw. The barrel was free floated after the first short step. The butt was filled with expanding foam, and wood blocks were glassed in to recieve the buttpad screws. The orginal buttpad was trash, it was replaced with a 1/2" Pachmeyer. After reshaping the forearm and sanding the whole thing down, it was painted with Lauer Weapons Epoxy paint. The original color was white, so I dyed it a gray with some Acuraglas dye. (It looks like it has a blue tint in the picture but it doesn't) Metalwork was painted with Lauer Weapons Epoxy "Gun Blue" after blasting.