Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Real off topic, anyone ever build a crossbow?

swamp_thing

I am not sure where or even if to ask this, but was wondering if anyone here has ever build or thought of building a crossbow? I have been tossing around the idea of making some sort of crossbow, using the remains of an old stock from one of my old projects. I don't really have a set plan in mind at this time, and was looking to see if any of you have ever tried this out. Any suggestions along these lines would be appreciated. swamp_thing

FC, If this is not appropriate here please feel free to move or delete.

I can't say anything with first hand experience. A freind of mine worked in a shop that rebuilt and re-arched automotive leaf springs. He claimed to have seen many home made cross bows. More often than not he claimed, they would build a leaf spring to customer's specs and they would return asking him to back off on the tension. According to my friend many were built with so much tension a human couldn't bend it but rather argue with a customer he would build the spring as they requested.

A former co-worker claimed to have been shot at by snipers armed with crossbows in Vietnam. He said they were held down for hours, couldn't find the snipers because the crossbows were silent. He also said the rumor mill said the bolts were dipped in the same mix the VC used on punghi sticks.

I built a few in High School Woodshop. Yeah, it was a hundred years ago; just try to do that in high school today.

I built one for myself using a commercial kit which contained all metal hardware, and prints. I had a stock blank of oak which turned out way cool, even though it was a bit heavy. It was a fairly straightforward, and simple project which produced a fairly accurate weapon.

A buddy of mine built one as well, and when other people saw our fiinished projects, they paid us to bulid some crossbows for them. The good ol' days.

I'll try to find my old plans, which have the manufacturer's contact info.

That would be great if you had some kind of plans and info. I think it would be a real neat project to do. Thought I might like to try making one up of some kind just for the fun of it. I have never had the chance to shoot one, but can see where they would have some real advantages at times. No recoil, quiet, short range and just plain fun. I hope you can find the old plans. swamp_thing