Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Deal of the Day!

roscoedoh

I’ve always been fascinated by dug-ups. In the 1950's my mother while planting rose bushes dug up from what I can best recall a revolver. My mother being a transplanted Chicagoan it was the first time she handled a gun. She was scared shootless of it and immediately called the sheriff. About a year or so ago in California I met a guy that had a dug-up Luger hanging on his wall. It was the WW1 Artillery model and was found by his relative a WW2 US Army engineer. By far the coolest dug-up was bought to a meeting of the Arizona Gun Collectors (now Az Arms) It was an old cap & ball revolver. Two chambers were empty and the hammer was frozen in the cocked position above a live chamber.

Jason, did your dad get the Remington 8MM??

That looks like some I got from Century. At least the fellow described it properly.

I see where it is only available in Great Britain (at least that's what I gathered).

All I find on my farm is old plow points and harness hardware. Seeing some of those plow sweeps and harness rings, etc. shows me how far we have gone in modern farming.

Who knows? Someday someone will dig up some of the stuff that I lost while farming (tools, grills from my tractors, etc). That will make their day.

I did find a receiver from on old lever rifle that my father had worn out. It was under an old barn. In the old days the farmers just threw under the barn things that were worn out. Not until the days of the scrap metal drives of WW2 did the old farm tools begin to get sold. I wish they would start them again, I have tons of the stuff laying around.

But someday in the future a fellow will dig them up, and it will make his day.

I know this sounds silly, but when I was a little kid and watched the Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers on TV and the movies, when they would shoot the gun out of the bad guy's hand or order them to throw down their guns---I never saw anybody pick up the gun from the ground. I wondered if the guns were still there!

fritz

Gentleman, whats wrong with that picture. For a mauser I have some questions. First off, whats with the spring in front of the trigger. Secondly, notice the straight down bolt handle which would have extended to the bottom of the stock? Thirdly, I see what appears to be a magazine retaining clip at the bottom front of the floorplate area. Anyone besides me see these things, and if so, what does that make this fine speciman. I bet is shoots great groups. swamp_thing

I'm not one for identifying obscure variants - I ain't no military collector - but I'm going out on a limb and guessing this is a French Berthier. The condition makes it hard to tell. Some parts may be bent out of place. Some are certainly missing but the bolt handle and the trigger group are real clues. One thing is sure - it ain't no Mauser!

I live in the midst of a huge war between the states area - on the edge of the Antietam Battlefield if that rings a bell for anyone. "Dug-up" items used to be common around here, now they're typically sold as soon as the dirt is cleaned off. My first house was across the street from an old house that had been a field hospital, while digging a fence post once I dug up what I took to be a golf ball. Wiped off most of the dirt and threw it on the drive way. Instead of bouncing it just went "clunk" and rolled a little. Further cleaning revealed an iron cannon grape-shot. I have a number of 1862 era rifle parts - locks, barrels, etc. found in an attic of another house. The former owner (a family friend) had an extensive collection of guns and swords picked up after the battle by her father - most notably a beautiful paper cartridge Sharps carbine I idolized from about eight-years of age until I watched it being carried away from the estate sale thirty years later. sad.gif In fact I've recently been considering using an old Springfield Barrel & lock to build a "Sporterized Springfield." Wouldn't THAT drive the "destruction of military history" types nuts!

I had a neighbor who used to work at CCI and had a Win 1912 collection and some rifles. He was on his second marridge, in a trailer on 5 acres.

They were SUPPOSED to build a big house, he was a big guy, an architect, and a big talker, but he lied to her about how much money he had. She paid for the mobile home.

I was 1,000 feet away at my house, and I could hear her yelling. "LOOSER!!"

They got divorced.

The place is sold and someone built a big house.

The place is sold again to someone with horses.

They cleared land, found a rusted out Rem700 with scope, and put it on the barn wall.

Being a historian [busybody], I had to tell them the likely reason that rifle was there.

The woman threw the man's rifle in the woods.

While clearing land for my house, I stumbled across what was left of a remington model 1100. The dozer did a number on it! No wood was left, the bolt frozen shut. I applied a coat of black spray paint and it hangs on my shop wall. More like a Remington boomerang now.