Military Firearm Restoration Corner

making a 7.62 x 39

rjhans53

Well I have put one together using a savage axis and a barrel from rhineland.  The brass wasn't extracting (which I had figured and have a bolt head being modified to help that out.  The thing shoots very well (< than .5 at 50) and as I have extra bolt heads around from making muzzleloaders I decided to take one, and JB the extra space on the back side of the extractor, seems to work great, but I have a question does anyone have any idea how long I can expect jb weld to hold up

That's an interesting application for JB Weld.  I think you are in new territory here.  It is an epoxy, so strong, but not real "tough" as in scratch resistant. 

Did you consider taking the extractor and welding up some metal to where you put the JB Weld? 

I 'm concerned that welding that close to the lugs would be a bad deal, could be wrong.  I've used JB a lot for bedding and when it sticks (my fault of course) it really sticks so I thought I'd try.  If it doesn't hold up I'm out a little time and a drop of JB.  The 223 head that I sent to Brian should be opened up and headed back to me next week.  Besides this gives me something to play with.  I guess if it doesn't hold up I could always take a shim from a cut down steel case and use jb to glue it in place.

My experience with JB Weld. First and foremost it won't stand up to heat. It doesn't necessarily melt but comes apart like cookie crumbs. Exactly where the temperature range where it begins to deteriorate is unknown to me. I do know the fast drying stuff the temperature where it begins deteriorating is lower. I've repaired wood door jambs with JB. Ten or so years later it's still holding. 

Decided to build another on a turk K.Kale mauser so ordered a barrel set up from Rhineland Arms

I  ordered a barrel  and it came in all messed up (chamber cut wrong and a couple of other things). I emailed them Saturday afternoon and explained the problem. He emailed me back early Mon (not bad seeing closed on the weekends) and they have done everything in there power to make it right. He figured it was a set up barrel that got put in the wrong pile. I have received the new barrel and fit and finish on this is really good. I always figure mistakes can happen, and when someone just makes it right (especially quickly) they deserve to be acknowledged for great CS. I will do more business with these folks.
They done good

Now if it shoots as good as the one i put on a savage axis