Military Firearm Restoration Corner

D-Day

manureman

I saw a mention on Fox, been 74 years ago. I might be wrong but I believe Martha is going to be interviewing 2 or 3 Veterans from the D-Day invasion tomorrow. 

My now deceased uncle was supposed to go in the second wave. He missed it as a result of breaking his leg in a training accident. He claimed his co suffered over 80% killed or wounded. 

I wish I had a better excuse but I don’t . I just flat got my days tangled up and spent all day yesterday thinking it was the 6th. 

Az I couldn’t figure out why in the world they would be doing the interviews you mentioned the day after.

I still can’t figure out how I got the days mixed up , I went back and looked at all my logs and paperwork from yesterday and I’d written the correct date on all of it !

I’m thinking this working in the hay fields and and driving a truck too may not come as easy as it did 30 years ago I’m hoping a few hours sleep takes care of the problem.

Sorry if I confused anybody.

Jim

Jim don't feel bad. Sometimes I can't remember what day of the week it is. If not for the calendar in my cell and iPad. I'd never show up for appointments on time. 

I tuned in late to Martha and didn't get all the interview with the WW2 Vets. Set my DVR and will catch it later. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bringing this thread back. I've attached a link to D-Day photos. Supposedly some photos were recently declassified. 

http://theolivebranchreport.com/newly-declassified-incredible-wwii-normandy-beach-landing-photographs/

I'm a bit perplexed by this photo. Guy on left the only one I see that is armed with 45 and M-1 Carbine. Likely an officer but the only one with a gun. The first guy across from him not holding a rifle but look at his bayonet and scabbord. It's for an Enfield!! Just find it strange a paratrooper being dropped with an Enfield. Possibly not Americans as indicated, Canadian or Polish maybe??

IMG_0340.PNG

Would it be possible that their rifles would be in some kind of protective drop container?  I've seen reproductions of such things advertised.  "Paratrooper M1 Garand case..." They all seem to have a dark colored padded case, maybe 3' long, 6" wide with them.  Maybe for carbines?  About the size of the carbine the first guy on the left has.  The Enfield bayonet would then fit, as the carbine that one has doesn't appear to have a bayonet attachment system on it, so he had his own personal fighting knife that he picked up local in England.

You're probably right Doc. I've seen the paratrooper M-1 cases or better said repros at a gun show years ago. The Enfield bayonet though is confusing. I seriously doubt Enfields were issued to paratroopers. An exception I just thought about after I began typing. US military shotguns used Enfield bayonets. The Enfield bayonet would not fit 03's or M-1's. Does seem strange though a paratrooper being dropped with a shotgun. Best I recall reading about shotguns in WW2. The Army's use of shotguns were limited to guards. The Marines made good use of them though island hopping. 

Although I'm no expert. Seems to me soldiers ready to be dropped would have their weapons in their hands. My guess the more I thought about it. It was probably a posed photo. If it were really troops waiting to be dropped with a photographer on board. Most would probably be looking at the camera. 

All of them have cased carbines under the front chute, like the front view if the guy at the cockpit entryway. Chutes require both hands.

The guy with the 45 is perhaps a jumpmaster and expecting to go back with the plane or jump if there is a shoot down

Something else just came to mind. The French made use of surplus Enfield bayonets. Shortened both the blade and sheath making it into a fighting knife. I assume the conversion was done post D-Day. There is a vendor at Phx gun shows that sells them. I was interested until I heard his 69.95 price. The vendor is the son of 70's surplus merchant Sherwood. 

19 minutes ago, wiley said:

All of them have cased carbines under the front chute, like the front view if the guy at the cockpit entryway. Chutes require both hands.

The guy with the 45 is perhaps a jumpmaster and expecting to go back with the plane or jump if there is a shoot down

Excellent point but adds to the confusion. Can see the short carry case, obviously for a cabine but why the Enfield bayonet. I blew up the photo and the loop that goes over the barrel still intact. Couldn't be one of the French fighting knife conversions as the loop was removed. At least the loops were gone in the fighting knife conversions I saw. 

My theory. My Remington 870 pump with 18 inch barrel will fit with some difficulty in my original M-1 Carbine carry case. It's not the type for paratroopers but I assume length is similar. Easily fits into my M-1 Garand repro carry case. Unfortunately I traded away my Norinco 1897 Winchester repro but I assume it's about the same length as my Remington. So possibly this guy was being dropped with a shotgun. All US GI shotguns (Winchester, Remington & Savage) used the 1917 Enfield bayonet. 

If anybody has read anything about the use of shotguns in WW1. The shotgun has a psychological effect on German troops. The Germans connected it with America's Wild West and feared it. Often US soldiers captured with shotguns were often executed immediately. Just my speculation, I assume the US made use of shotguns during WW2. 

Guess it's possible it was a privately owned fighting weapon but I have to disagree with Doc. Just can't imagine carrying the additional weight with the easily availability of M-1 bayonets. The M-1 Carbine bayonet of the WW2 era with leather sheath was desinged to do double duty as a fighting knife but to add to the confusion. The only Carbine in the photo is not equipped with a bayonet lug. 

I think the late war carbines didn't have the lug.  Been reading on them in SGN/FN. 

Also, when jumping out of an airplane with gear, you have your gear attached via a teather.  You drop the gear when you are close to the ground so it lands separately, then you do your PLF (Parachute Landing Fall).  If those cases held carbines, then that would probably be what was going to happen.

I read in a SGN/FN article on fighting shotguns that the Germans in WWI threatened to execute Americans caught with shotguns, and the American general replied something like he would kill 10 Germans for every American executed and the Germans backed down. 

Guy at work got a sticker for the back of his 4runner for father's day.  It has a flag and says "USA - Back to Back World War Champions."  I suggested another sticker on the other side that said ".DL -- 0   .US -- 2"

On 6/21/2018 at 11:07 AM, Dr.Hess said:

I think the late war carbines didn't have the lug.  Been reading on them in SGN/FN. 

My late Rockola hybrid M-1 Carbine doesn't have a bayonet lug. According to the serial number it was among the Carbines produced after the govt canceled the production. All the Carbine manufactures shipped their remaining parts to Inland Marine for assembly. Best I can tell, the only Rockola part on mine is the receiver. It has IM barrel and sights. Can't find anything significant on the stock.

If it was all Rockola it would be worth three times more as they are a bit scarce. A hard core M-1 Carbine collector in my gun club eyes lit up with a big smile on his face during the show n tell portion of our meeting as soon as I said Rockola. Poor guy made an ugly disappointed almost disgusted look on his face as soon as he saw the Inland barrel. I was hoping for a generous offer when he walked my way. He probably pays more in state taxes than I gross in a year. He also collects Class 3 Thompsons, Axis pistols and Hummers. 

The seller that sold me the Rockola claimed his father bought it through the NRA in the 50's for $14.95 as a perk for joining. I got it for 200. I have mixed feelings about keeping it original or putting a parkerized bayonet lug on it. Probably wouldn't consider it but I have a leather handle Carbine bayonet. I originally had the bayonet on an Iver Johnson Carbine that was made with surplus and new parts. It was a POS, nearly every time I took it shooting something went wrong. Sent it back to Iver twice, third time after the rear sight unraveled they were belly-up and I ate the cost of a US GI adjustable sight assy. Couldn't resist a trade for it, a near mint pre-Remlin, Marlin 45/70 without the Mickey Mouse, greedy lawyer safety. 

Sorry guys for rambling away again on the keyboard. Been pretty much stuck in bed past few days with my laptop after a fall and bored stiff. Hopefully I'll be mobile enough to join the Red for Ed counter protest tomorrow. 

I noted the lack of news on 6/6 as well.

Still, it is over 70 years ago and people these days seem to have even forgotten  9/11. 

I have an old inland carbine from 1944....still prefer it  if anything nasty shows up about the place.

karl

PS  I wonder what those guys would think of the world their kids and grand kids created?