Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Next box

karlunity

Just added two fans that I had in the parts bin to an ole "D" cpu board that i sorta rebuilt. It has 4 fans now. The ole HD was getting too hot and not taking win 7 or Fedora with reliability. Now it runs as good as a old box can. 
I gotta build another. ( just one more)
what do ya think of a am3 
AMD MB quad core, with DDR 3 ram SSHD and a good 400 or 500 w PSU? I dont game just net, email some You tube.

karl

On 9/3/2018 at 8:38 AM, karlunity said:

Just added two fans that I had in the parts bin to an ole "D" cpu board that i sorta rebuilt. It has 4 fans now. The ole HD was getting too hot and not taking win 7 or Fedora with reliability. Now it runs as good as a old box can. 
I gotta build another. ( just one more)
what do ya think of a am3 
AMD MB quad core, with DDR 3 ram SSHD and a good 400 or 500 w PSU? I dont game just net, email some You tube.

karl

My current machine is an AM3/AM3+ MB with a Phenom II (dual core) and 16 GB of RAM. I'm very happy, and it does all I need it to.

I'd recommend getting a MB with SATA 2; the SSD I have flies with that combo.

For Fedora or Linux, only the "/boot" and "/" partitions need to be on the SSD; everything else can be on platter drives. You could get by with a 32 GB drive between the two.

Thank you sir

Built a duo core 775 on an old vostro 220 MB.. 8 gig of ram. 

Just   to get by with parts I had.

Three  fans, 240  SSD and one T hd for storage   works well   for now    but ya know...  I was nuts to build a quad core..but since I dint game  I think a 2x may work well. I have the ram a heat sink and the AMD 2x cpu  what MB do you suggest for a non gamer  type?

karl

25 minutes ago, karlunity said:

Thank you sir

Built a duo core 775 on an old vostro 220 MB.. 8 gig of ram. 

Just   to get by with parts I had.

Three  fans, 240  SSD and one T hd for storage   works well   for now    but ya know...  I was nuts to build a quad core..but since I dint game  I think a 2x may work well. I have the ram a heat sink and the AMD 2x cpu  what MB do you suggest for a non gamer  type?

I like Gigabyte; they seem to last a while. I currently run an earlier version of this board:

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-DDR3-Micro-Motherboard-GA-78LMT-USB3/dp/B079GRXBDJ?th=1

Foxxcon, ASRock, Asus, and MSI have worked well for me in the past. I'm not too fussy... My concerns are 4 RAM slots, a PCIe video card slot, reasonable RAM expandability (to at least 16 GB), SATA2 or greater, and NO INTEGRATED NVIDIA. AMD offers great graphics support to the open source community, and if no video card is to be added, integrated AMD is the way to go.

I did add a video card, choosing an AMD R7 240-based version; it wasn't a "screamer", but it sipped power from the power supply. My sole considerations were to beat the integrated graphics as efficiently as possible, reduce memory consumption, and reduce the CPU load

Just found a heck of a deal on a used MB from Walmart  3 AM socket  (34 bucks  free shipping)

and I have the heatsink and fan in the parts bok and some ddr 3 and a ps  enough to put together  a test setup when the MB gets her aroung the 21..

happy karl

A guy once told me that I looked and stood like a NK border guard...: )  I was on traffic duty at the time and I took watching over the kids with grave seriousness. I did not take duty as a social event.

Any way I gotta do something till SW opens.  Only problem is that now I gotta wait 10 days  :(  for my parts..

Take care pal

karl