Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Army Tommy Gun: How it works

FC

All Thompsons fired from an open bolt, squeeze the trigger and the bolt ran forward picking up a cartridge along the way. As the round entered the chamber  almost all the way it would be fired by the fixed firing pin and start to extract and run the bolt back.  By letting off the trigger the bolt is caught and held back until the next time trigger is pulled.

The ATF decided that open bolt guns in semi-auto could be easily converted to run full auto by changing some parts or making new ones, So no more open bolt guns. 

From what I was told, even open bolt 22's are no longer permitted by ATF to be imported. 

Tony if you're considering a drum mag. SARCO is running a free shipping deal. I believe they also sell the third hand.

My T-gun deal is dead, emailed begging for a response even if no. He won't respond and removed his phone number from ad. He also jacked up his cash price to 1800 from 1200. There's another in Green Valley, south of Tucson on Armslist but he never responded after asking if he'd meet half way. I still have a M-1A and Thompson on my radar but having zero luck finding trades. 

There are advantages to open bolt guns.  You'll never cook off a round in a hot barrel.  Recoil is less as the bolt is moving forward when ignition hits.  Disadvantages too.

Be sure to follow the directions on loading it.  According to Firearms News, loading it improperly will damage it.

Sounds like it's gonna be phun.

1 hour ago, FC said:

That open bolt sounds like a dust collector.

I got the Sarco 50 round drum. When I have time I’ll make some cartridges.

A few years ago some posters on the Cast Boolit board were raving about the excellent shot to shot accuracy with their AO Thompsons. Looked but couldn't find the thread. They posted a ton of 45ACP data for the Thompson. Best I recall they shied away from the faster powders like Bullseye using slower burning pistol powders to take advantage of the longer barrel length.