Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Zastava M48 sporters

ikesdad

Maybe you guys can figure this out because I'm not alone trying to figure out these mystery Yugos.

I've been seeing these show up at my local Cabelas in small batches. Even some on their online site.

For the most part, they are M48 actions but the rest of the rifle parts are all over the place. Military barrels, sporter barrels, converted military stocks, sporter stocks, stamped FPs, milled FPs, military sights, sporter sights, most with military bolts but some with sporter bolts and no rhyme or reason to them with the mixing of parts.

All are 8x57.

The importer is someplace in NY.

My local store has 3 - a M48 action, an FN stamped action, and a civilian Zastava action (without the thumb cut out on the left wall). All intermediate length.

A buddy of mine surmised, on another forum, that Zastava took notes from Bannerman, but did it with their own product.

So, my question is - have any of you guys seen these and if so, what do you make of them ? Certainly odd ducks.