Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Small ring 98 barrels

Sailormilan2

I know people have been using rethreaded Remington 700 barrels when they wanted to rebarrel a Turk 1903. But, while looking at a 1909 Peruvian Mauser that I have I figured out that it appears a Win 70 barrel can also be used. It's threads are almost identical to those on the Rem 700.

I actually prefer the profile of the Win 70 Featherweight barrels. But, it has to be a post '64 push feed barrel.

I've been trying decide what caliber to use on the Peruvian. Peruvian Mausers are identical to the 1903 Turk, but don't have the counter bore AR the front of the receiver. So, they have a longer barrel shank/tenon. They are also a standard length action, but use an intermediate length bolt. 

Someone prior to me had converted it to a 30/06, and lengthened it to 30/06 length magazine by removing part of the feed ramp/bottom locking lug.

I think there's enough there to safely handle a 25/06.  Otherwise I may just go with a .257 Roberts.

Decisions, decisions.

Not a direct screw in. It will need to be rethreaded. But it appears to have enough metal in it to clean up the threads completely, and then rethread.

Win threads are 1"-16tpi. Rem threads are 1.016-16tpi. Small ring Mauser are .980-12tpi. The major diameter of the Mauser should be slightly larger, or at least very close, to the minor diameter of the Win threads.

I may have to get a cheap one just to try it out.

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2019 at 10:56 AM, Sailormilan2 said:

Not a direct screw in. It will need to be rethreaded. But it appears to have enough metal in it to clean up the threads completely, and then rethread.

Win threads are 1"-16tpi. Rem threads are 1.016-16tpi. Small ring Mauser are .980-12tpi. The major diameter of the Mauser should be slightly larger, or at least very close, to the minor diameter of the Win threads.

I may have to get a cheap one just to try it out.

8 hours ago, cowboybart said:

Win 70 and Ruger 77 have the same threads.  You might find a Ruger barrel cheaper.  I might know a guy with a Ruger American take off. I don't know if the American and the 77 are the same thread pitch though ??

BTDT... the original Threads will "Ghost" thru.. Not a huge problem with Milder Cartridges.. I would not go Hotter than say... 270 WIN.. which IMO are plenty hot...and out of bounds for my liking...I am in the process of a .270X57... If I don't go to getting my Dragbike around pretty soon... in which case... see ya this winter!!!