Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.40 cal ???

karlunity

Seems like the .40 cal is going the way of the dodo. I never cared for it or the concept, If  a 9mm with hollow points wont do it for ya, practice more or get a 1911.  But at lest among leos the 40 was the cats meow...Now? I see they all over the place as tradeins.

karl

I like the 40, larger, heavier and faster than the 9MM. According to what I heard from a Postal Inspector. The reason the Feds went to the nine was to accommodate female agents and what he described as "Woosies". My favorite revolver caliber is the 41 Mag so I naturally favor the 40 over the 9. The 41 Mag has been doomed according the gun rag authors for years but it still survives as the 40 S&W will for many years. 

• 2 weeks later...

According to what I heard from a Sportsman's Whse employee working the gun counter. The 40 is very popular in states that have ten round mag limit. I think it was Colorado the sales clerk said the 40 S&W chambered Taurus cheapie, G2 model I think, out sell the nines. Between 40S&W and 45ACP I'd be confident with either one if I'm using a pistol instead of my preferance for revolvers. With the 9MM, like 38 Special for self defense. I would feel a bit under gunned with room for improvement. After the FBI went back to the 9MM from the 10MM. The gun rag authors, TV shows and even net posters raved about improvements in 9MM bullet technology over the anemic FMJ's I'm sure the same tech was applied to larger calibers. Guess I'm showing my age being fond of the explosive Winchester Silver-Tip fearing over penetration. I very seriously doubt I will ever need to launch a bullet through car's windshield or doors. I just can't buy Hornaday's claim of a 9MM bullet that will penetrate a curved windshield with no deflection, remain solid and expand reliably in a soft target behind it. 

• 1 month later...

Back on the 40 cal discussion. My friend’s daughter got a Glock compact chambered in 10MM. Her summer home is in bear and mountain lion country in the Montana boondocks. She obviously needs the power but after I put a mag of Buffalo Bore through it I was anxious to put it down. Guess one wouldn’t feel the recoil shooting at a charging bear though. She handles it well as she does with her 44Mag Ruger Alaskan and 12ga pump. Guess I’m going soft in old age as I now prefer to shoot 38 & 44 Specials and 45ACP at the range. Been a few years since I put a mag through my 44. 

Karl (Zen) were you shooting 40’s in a Glock?? I didn’t have problems sizing brass shot in my Beretta PX but did have some difficulty with some range pick ups with a slight bulge near the base. I can’t say for certain but assume the brass was shot in a Glock as I’ve seen some net posters complain about a bulge in 45ACP brass shot in a Glock. 

Been seeing police trade in Glocks and Sigs for sale the majority chambered in 40 and a few in 357 Sig and 45 Gap. Possibly their departments changed to 9MM or as I feared and didn’t buy, wore them out. Phoenix street cops still using 40 Glocks but some of the older detectives carrying 9MM Sigs. The Phx cop I talked with said many cops carry S&W J-frame revolvers or a small 32 or 380 as a back up or hide out gun. 

16 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

I don't think I've ever heard of a cop gun that was worn out.  Usually carried much, beat to crap, shot never.  I suppose some training guns could get wear.

I've had good luck buying police surplus S&W revolvers espcially the ones with import stampings. I had but traded away the hard to find 38's with the heavy 3" barrel. Finish was excellent and the cylinder turn lines were very faint. They came from French airport police.  I was had several years ago buying a surplus stainless M-65. All AIM surplus told me they were from a New York State small city. What Aim failed to mention either in their email ad or my phone call. The revolvers were converted to double action only. According to a poster on the S&W board. The D/A conversion was ordered by the police chief. 

Two brothers I know bought surplus Glocks with problems. One was simply fixed with a new mag the other one he had to have it refurbed by a local smith named Glock Meister. I don't recall the details other than R&R with an after market extractor. If I remember right he paid about a buck and a half and I believe he also replaced the worn mag. Before my brother died he bought a surplus Glock 9MM. Looked beat up with holster wear but according to my nephew he has put hundreds through it without any trouble. 

• 1 month later...

Yes - a Glock 23. Nice gun always went bang but 40's are hot and the cases bulge. I sold it. The only pistol caliber I have now is 45 ACP - no need for nuthin else

No need for nuthin else?? Good Luck, I know I’ve thought and said the same but still keep buying or good ol’fasion horse trading as I’ve accumulated many more after my initial pistol, rifle and shotgun in my twenties. I even convinced my X I was through but she knew better as her dad had a mil-surp collection, Winchester’s and numerous Smith & Wesson’s. She reminded me of blowing about a hundred on tools and telling her I got everything I need. 

I believe Lee makes a sizing die to remove the bulge. Never used one but I believe the brass is pushed completely through like their lead bullet sizers. As any hand loader will say “brass is a terrible thing to waste”!!