Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Skaggs Gunsmithing

724wd

So, I just wanted to throw my .02 in on Mark Skaggs. I had a fantastic experience having him barrel my 30/06. super fast, great work, and he didnt even laugh too hard at some of my silly requests. When we played phone tag and i didnt get back to him in time, Mark went ahead and squared the bolt face. he tried to pass it off like no big deal, and said dont worry about paying for that part, but hey, guys running a business, right?

So basically, i have no qualms about sending him my next project, unless i can teach myself how to do it by then...probably better send it to him..

How is his turn around time?

I am going to need a couple actions barreled next year. I haven't heard anything bad about him yet and was thinking of trying him out when the time comes.

Thanks,

Jason

the day (or maybe day after) Mark recieved my rifle, he called and said he was working on it. i had it back in a week. and if you have any questions or time constraints, call him. seems like a heck of a guy!

Just a few days ago I sent a VZ 24 barreled action to Skaggs gunsmithing to have a .257 roberts barrel installed. I did a thread on the entire project here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/s...0/page/0#623435

Here's the excerpt about Mr Skaggs:

Packed the rifle and shipped it priority mail on Nov 3rd to Skaggs gunsmithing. I got a call on Nov 8th from Mr Skaggs to inform me that my rifle was done and being shipped, and I received the rifle back yesterday, Nov 15th. That's an 8 business day turnaround back to my door!! Wow!!

I am not a machinist or a gunsmith so I have no way to do critical measurements, but the work looks excellent. The crown has been recut to a target style, and the barrel has an excellent looking ".257 roberts" stamped on it.

Needless to say he'll be getting more of my business.

Good shooting,

Weagle

user posted image

Welcome to our site Weagle! You should have a fine,fun to shoot rifle there.You say your not a gunsmith,but sound like you've been into Mausers for a while.I'm no gunsmith either,but am determined to learn one step at a time until I can build a complete rifle without any help,and this board is the place to learn.I've fixed broke guns since I was about 12(40 years now) for friends or relatives,but building is way different.Your a Texas boy,right? Jerry

Guest mark d. skaggs
Jerry,  Thanks.  I'm a born and bred Georgia Cracker, and I still live just north of Atlanta. 

I really like this rifle and I have dies and brass on the way so I can see how it really shoots. 

Weagle

7566[/snapback]

i would try H-4831sc powder and Hornaday 117 gr bullets my .257 ackley with the A&B barrel like it really well. although i have had real good luck with the RL-19 and RL-22 powders and fed-210 primers and the WLRs work fine too.

Mark, Thanks.

I've got a bunch of Imr 4350 and imr 4831 and 117 gr hornadys on hand, so hopefully I'll be able to work up an acceptable load with that. I also hear good things about the 100 gr barnes tsx.

As a side note. The A&B barrel took that oxpho blue awesome and it looks as good as most factory blue jobs. It's very dark and completly uniform.

I'm jumping on that Midway deal that you tipped me off to and Z1r posted a promo code where you get a free stock with the A&B barrels, so I'll probably have a couple more headed your way soon.

Thanks,

Weagle

Guest mark d. skaggs

let me know on the new barrels i have a struck a deal with the local bluer here and he will blue barrels for me if i polish them first he turns them around in about a week sometimes a little more. otherwise his wait if i have him polish them is 6 weeks. he does a nice job and the price is around $30 but only does polish blue. mark. cool.gif