Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rough day for the family

FC

My brother-in-law died of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) this afternoon. Bad way to die. My dad cut his right pinkie down the length of it about a week ago on his tablesaw, down to the bone. It's infected, and he may lose it. Sister-in-law is slowly going downhill for several years now with cancer. Death comes for us all. Sobering reminder.

That's rough, Tony.  My dad passed 2 months ago.  Yeah, as I say, "nobody gets out of here alive." 

Dr.Linda's uncle died of ALS a couple years ago.  Also, our car show has adopted Arkansas ALS as our charity.  I think we raised around 20K for them this year.  They really help the people with ALS, and as a charity, it is much better than MS, who we had as our charity in the past.  All the money we raise helps local people with the AR ALS.

Thanks Karl. I’m heading to Atlanta to get a cheap flight at o-dark thirty. Dad is going back to surgery for a washout, I guess, to see if the finger can be saved tomorrow. I was told to go to the viewing of “Bubba” instead. Still bugs me that he and my sister were driving back to TX, passed near our home, but didn’t stop to visit, but most people will let you down at some point. Going is the best thing to do, in the long term.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:47 PM, spec4 e4 said:

I have watch many proud people died from cancer, only a handful survived.  Not easy way to go.  Sorry to hear about the bad times.  But we all have a expiration date.  

Rob

After I reread this, I came off as hard and sorry.  The only advise is hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  When my mother got cancer, I was hoping after all the treatments it was cured, but it came back hard and fast.  Last her with in 8 months.  My great neighbor lost his wife fast and then he went down hill very fast with dementia.  The last time my wife and I visited with him, he did not even know who we are.  It was very sad day because his wife and him give the shirt of their back to you if you need it.  I trust him and he used my riding mower to mow his grass and then he mow my while we where out.  I mowed his when I was home.  He used a push mower before we moved and enjoyed the riding mower very much.  He used to come over while i was working on my trucks and tell me stories, I miss them.  His wife keep telling him stop bugging me.  lol. My wife and I used to take them out to dinner all the time, Long Star, Jose Pepper, and others.  So enjoy the time you have with them, because you never know when it's your time or theirs.

Rob

As I was driving back from the meal after the funeral I saw the dirt being shoveled over the grave. Puts this temporary life in perspective. I have a sister-in-law and brother who are well off and conceited. She, especially, is a snob. They brought nothing into this world, and they will leave the same way. 

Sorry to hear that Tony.

I hope your dad is doing better. We buried my brother last year and the funeral was old style we lowered him into the ground by hand and we each grabbed a shovel and buried him. It really does put things into perspective.