Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Palmetto State Armory

FC

I’ve spent a ton of money with them over the last few years and have no complaints with the quality of they’re parts. 
  Had a dust cover on a gen 2 PA 10 in .308 that wouldn’t close because of a faulty detent . Sent them an email explaining the issue and asked them to just send me a new cover and let me change it out vs shipping the entire upper back and they had me a new dust cover in just a couple days. So I’m tickled with that but ... I get several emails from them every day and have for several years and I’ve looked at 99.9% of them and I swear every time there is a mass shooting I’ll never order from them again .

The smoke don’t have a chance to clear and they’re sales end and prices on ARs ,mags and ammo go up EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Kinda rubs me the wrong way but I  heal up and send em more money every single time.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm done with Palmetto State Armory. They didn't answer my e-request. 

I went to Academy Sports and Outdoors- they were wiped out of just about anything related to guns. It looked the the NFL stadiums. Maybe a third of what they normally have in stock.

Sorry to hear that Tony don’t know what your after but Graf and Sons are good to deal with. I had sent them an order a while back and they actually called me to see if I had renewed My C&R, I had but just hadn’t sent them a copy so they waited on me to do it then gave me a break on a scope.

Primary Arms has also treated me very well and has the reputation for excellent customer service.

Hope you find what your after.

Jim

I'm kind of double-minded on the PPK/S .22LR. Beautiful, $229 on sale, but I've read that the double action trigger is 17 lbs.! Too much. Then I think, gee, I really don't need any guns, but I've always liked the PPK. Palmetto put a $17 delivery fee on picking it up at their store. Why? They never answered. They also listed the .22 revolvers for dirt cheap, but, of course, they had few in stock. I don't like being lured to a store and they don't have what they advertised.

Just picked up a .38 for the wife off of Grab a gun.com. They’re like most places some things they have pretty good deals on and others not so much but they’re worth a look.

Taurus had a pretty good price on their little.38s plus a rebate not long ago and I almost grabbed one just because but didn’t just because.....

We live in the sticks and with me driving a Truck I’m gone a fair bit when the wife gets home at night . She got her concealed carry permit years ago and I bought her a pistol ,she doesn’t pack it but keeps it in a pistol vault by the bed but she heard something walking a few nights back on her way into the house and it booger’d her so naturally just a few days after the rebates ended and the prices went up she decided she needed one to keep locked in the glovebox of her car.

Picked up a stainless Taurus 856 ultra-lite, a 6 shot .38 revolver with a 2 inch barrel for $229.00 delivered plus the transfer on my end of course, a fair price I thought.

She has run 200 rounds through it and it’s now cleaned and loaded with Hornady Critical Defense and locked in her glovebox where it’ll spend the majority of its life.

They had the best price I could find at the time on it but I noticed other things I’d seen cheaper other places so who knows. 
     Jim

I am right at the 10 year mark for running the gun store.  I do quite a few transfers, and Bud's, PSA & Classic can be real butts if you need to return something.  They run on minimal mark up and expect the customer and dealer to foot the bill.  

Bud's sent the wrong gun, and the customer refused it.  Bud's wanted it sent back, but would not pay a transfer fee.  We received it, logged it in the a&d book, called the customer, coordinated return to Bud's and asked Bud's to pay the transfer fee to cover our costs.  They went ballistic, and no longer will ship to us. 

Classic sent a total wreck for a customer who had paid for hand picking.  Same behavior as Bud's when the customer refused the gun. 

PSA sent a handgun to be transferred to an 18 year old.  It has been sitting in the storeroom for months as PSA refuses to pay a transfer fee to cover our costs. 

I am currently dealing with another internet seller that I will not name at this time because outright refusal has not occured yet.  The problem arose on a NICS denial.  We did everything required of us, but the customer did not get the gun and so far both parties have refused to pay a transfer fee.  We charge $20 on incoming transfers, and $35 on outgoing as we have to box using our packing materials and time. 

The customers are angry because they did not get what they wanted, the internet sellers have already been paid and do not care.  I have about 4 guns sitting in the storeroom waiting for someone to ante up the transfer fee. 

The gist of this is that if you have a problem with a delivery from one of the major internet sellers, you should not expect them to act decently. 

I had problems with Bud’s a few years ago. After about three weeks of back and forth, Bud’s finally discovered they sent my Taurus OSS to the wrong dealer after I started to process a credit card dispute. The receiving dealer claimed Bud’s did not include any purchaser information and never responded to their inquiries about whom the gun was for or provide a return authorization number. Bud’s eventually emailed me telling me where the gun was at.

When I arrived to pick up the gun I quickly discovered wrong caliber and barrel length. I got on the phone with Bud’s at the gun shop and exactly as I expected the correct item was sold out and Taurus discontinued future OSS models. Bud’s told me if I would take it they would email a $20 off certificate on my next purchase. I complained to Bud’s the receiving dealer will charge me 30 and my dealer only charges 20 so at best I’m only getting 10 bucks ahead on my next purchase. Frustrated I agreed after the dealer over hearing my conversation said he would take $25 and I took it home. I never got the certificate. 

My bank told me before I could start a dispute I needed to talk to a supervisor and get his name. Previously when I called Bud’s asking for a supervisor whom ever picked up the call claimed they were a supervisor. When I asked for his name I got an ahhh, a pause then a common first name like Bob or John, I can’t remember. When I asked for full name I got a “why do you need it”. After explaining it all over again, not receiving promised return calls I was starting a credit card dispute. I got another promise of looking into it and he assured me an answer before his shift ends. About an hour or so later I got an email telling me where it was at. Bud’s had to have the last word, telling me I had the dealer in my profile as my favorite FFL dealer. Total BS as I never previously used that dealer.

Karma got my revenge. Last year my son ordered a 380 from Bud’s. After it arrived and my son picked it up from the dealer. Two days later another 380 arrived. My son checked with his bank, he was only charged for one and was only out the additional $20 FFL fee. The FFL told my son if Bud’s catches the screw up. To tell them you would be happy to return it as soon as they pay you up front for the postage, receiving and shipping FFL fees. Been a little more than and as far as I know he hasn’t heard from Bud’s.

When I selling guns as a sideline to my uniform business. The only one I recall not having problems with returns was Davidson’s. I learned real quick to order via fax. Ordering by phone and the wrong item arrived the distributers would claim that’s what you ordered. I still have a Browning BAR in 7 Mag that I didn’t order. I ordered two BARS in 300 Winchester for two cops and got the 7’s. One guy took it as the price at the time was dirt cheap the other buyer said no. I can’t recall the name of the distributor but they refused a RMA number telling me they would refuse it without the number. From the same New Jersey distributor I ordered a Zoli O/U shotgun for myself and they sent the wrong barrel length. At the same time I ordered a 30 inch O/U with fixed full chokes for a customer and it was correct.

I was fortunate being out bid on an order for 10 S&W 357 revolvers for a Justice Dept shooting team. RSR in Reno NV drop shipped blue steel fixed sights instead of stainless adjustable sights. I was told RSR refused to make it right and the home based FFL had to eat it.