Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.357 Sig ammo I have left over

FC

I was surprised and disappointed as well the 357 Sig didn’t really catch on. There was a wildcat in the late 60’s and early 70’s that was popular for awhile, 357 B&D I think it was named that was similar. A 45ACP necked down to take 38 bullets with the 110 gr hollow point being the favorite. If I remember right all one needed was a barrel to convert a 1911. The detractors in the gun rags claimed there wasn’t a significant velocity increase compared to 38 Super. My guess the 357 Sig will have its loyal followers like the 41 Mag, 35 Whelen or 257 Roberts fans for many years. 

I thought a lot about which guns I gravitate toward using or carrying. So guns for home protection, guns for critters, and guns for carrying. Then I knew I needed one shotgun. Then there’s nice guns I’d lose my shirt on if I sold, like my custom flintlock. I put too much work into the Tommy Gun to sell it, and it was fun. SKS for doomsday. One peacemaker of 3, but the only bidder didn’t pay. K-31 was tough, but but none of my girls wanted guns, and prices are up. I sold one Tower reproduction flintlock pistol, and .31 caliber cap and ball. Kept Rossi 92 .44-40 because I’d lose money. It’s dead accurate.  Thought about the Uberti 1858 revolver, but I couldn’t sell the conversion cylinder. Very accurate, and it’s on a wall display. 1842 musket reproduction- I’d lose money. Winchester 94, keeper. .17 HMR with very expensive Habicht scope- can’t sell without losing money. .22 Henry, same thing, and doubles as a squirrel gun. Chipmunk is dead accurate, and good for shooting predators I caught when I had chickens. NAA, easy to carry. 

I just listed everything and ruled out guns, then debated the rest. I’ve pondered burying a gun and ammo too in PVC.

I have trouble selling guns for cash as it’s easier in my mind to trade. I have rifles, Mausers especially I haven’t shot in over 25 years. Only guns I’ve sold in the past few years was to raise cash to buy another. I really regret selling a Hi Standard Double Nine Convertible 22. I got a deal on a Taurus double action 8-shot 22RF revolver. Think it was way back in the late 70’s I used the Double Nine’s mag cylinder and didn’t really need two 22 revolvers. Used the cash to buy my X a Beretta PX sub compact she wanted. I even had it cerakoted pink for her and gave it to her for a Christmas gift. In her hasty departure she left it behind along with her 32 cal Beretta Tomcat. Now I have a pink Beretta 9 MM awaiting a trade. The Tomcat is a keeper.

Guess it makes up for some old coins of mine and a new in unopened box sewing machine she sneaked out. Yes this old redness sews. Learned the basics from a high school upholstery class then had to sew when I started my uniform business and couldn’t afford to hire a seamstress.

I did sell a Chinese 1897 Winchester clone of US trench shotgun. I had less than 300 in it including a US 1917 Enfield bayonet with a reproduction sheath. I got 575 out of it from a WW1 reenactor and used the cash to take the bite out of a 460 S&W revolver.  

I was doing a lot of trading but no selling for cash. It ended when the feds shut down Backpage. During my trading I was really disappointed Mausers didn’t get much attention from millennials. The young’uns all want dishwasher safe 9 mills with a large mag capacity or AR-15’s with all kinds of gizmos attached. Only traded away one Mauser I had previously re-blued and refinished the wood. The mid 20’s guy was thrilled with it and I got a real nice 1960’s S&W Model 28, 357 his grandfather left him. The only bite I got on a 1950’s Spanish Oveido Mauser with bolo bayonet was some hustler trying to persuade me to donate it to his grandson’s high school ROTC class for marching drills. 

2 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Was the Spanish Mauser 308?  One of the "FR7's" or "FR8's"?  Just curious.

Afraid not, it’s an 8 MM. Externally real nice but the bore is dark. Got it late 70’s from Springfield Sporters. The bore was rusted when I got it but it cleaned up considerably after apx 150 rds of Turk ammo. Despite the dark bore it’s capable of minute of man accuracy out to 200 yds. Bench rested at 100 yds I got about a 4” cluster. As with most dark bores the accuracy will decline rapidly with use. 

About 89-90 a Phx pawn shop was selling those Spanish 308’s for under $100. They had two types. One model had the phony gas tube for a bayonet lug and flash suppressor for an additional $10 or so. Not sure which action the 308’s were but do recall both types cocked on closing. I intended to buy one but left with a Brit #4 mk1 instead. I returned several weeks later to get a 308 after reading some good press in a gun rag but they were all gone. Clerk told me they were slow selling, taking up room and grease was being spread all over the shop from customer’s hands. The owners son drug them to a gun show and sold them all. One thing I vividly recall the pawn shop’s mgmt was kind enough to have a Goop dispenser and paper towels by the stack of the very greasy 308’s. 

Those would be the "FR7" series.  Small ring 7x57 Mausers that, near as I can tell, the Spanish just took the barrels off, drilled out to 300 (they were probably almost there already, being totally shot out,) rifled, cut the shoulder back, and rechambered to 308.  Internet folklore says you'll be killed for sure if you shoot one, but no one has ever pointed to one that actually did blow up.  7x57 was pretty stout to start with.  The FR8 started as a large ring Mauser, 8x57, and was rebarreled to 308.  No one bitches about those, despite the 8x57 having a lower max pressure than the 7x57 per SAAMI. I don't think the Germans or Turks loaded to SAAMI specs.

If I remember correctly the Spanish 762/308 ammo was loaded to lower pressure levels. Again I’m relaying something I read years ago, the Spanish 762 produced pressures in the low 40,000 PSI level for the CETME rifle. Reflecting back I think there was an advisory in the magazine article to avoid using US GI 762 as the pressure was in the low 50’s. Assuming my 69 year old memory isn’t fooling me. I assume the lower pressure Spanish ammo would be safe. 

ive often wondered what the motivation was behind the Spaniards designing the bolt action rifle to cosmetically resemble a semi auto on the muzzle end with the fake gas tube and flash suppressor. Anybody know??

Yeah, the so called lower pressure CETME ammo is why people think the FR7's are going to blow up in your face.  But the small ring Mausers were proofed to some incredible level, like 100K or something, and the 7x57 was in the same pressure range as the 308/30-06, give or take.  And, when the Spanish were using these rifles, they didn't have special CETME ammo, just standard NATO stuff.  Like I said, no one has pictures of one actually having a problem. 

As for the extra tube, I think it was just to mount the standard issue bayonet, so they wouldn't have to stock two types.

17 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

As for the extra tube, I think it was just to mount the standard issue bayonet, so they wouldn't have to stock two types.

Probably right, my 1950's Oviedo 98 Mauser has a bayonet adapter. With the adapter it fits the so called Spanish Bolo bayonet. Without the easily removed adapter it fits the K98 style that was adopted by numerous European militaries. I've got a photo of the adapter buried in my files. If anybody wants to see it let me know and I'll dig it up. 

This is but book learning  as I dont have that rifle..but for general info.

I read that Spain wanted to move to the 7.62 Cetme   a semi auto copy of a German rifle  but while Spain wanted to be in nato and share ammo, they would not have the Cetme ready for general issue for a few years so the F8, which looked like the Cetme...later they were issued to second rank.  Could have gotten one for 60 bucks at one point..funny I am thinking of selling some rifles, dont have an outdoor range any more.  Yet I still  sorta want the ones that got away

karl

On 12/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, FC said:

I just listed everything and ruled out guns, then debated the rest. I’ve pondered burying a gun and ammo too in PVC.

Friend of mine did that in 1999 with the Y2K scare. He buried a SKS and ammo after he found PVC and end caps large enough. I didn’t see it but from he told me after reading it on a survivalist website. He sealed it up using silicone on the caps. After he sealed one end before installing the opposite end. After he smeared the silicone and installed the cap he stuck a burning candle inside the tube to use up the Oxygen and the vacuum pulled the caps on real tight. He claimed he had to bury it six feet deep out of metal detector range. He also claimed to have buried rice, dried beans and some commercial survivalist food. He lives on a half acre and I couldn’t see an area that looked like it was disturbed. I haven’t seen him in several years and don’t know if he dug it up after the Y2K scare flopped.

About ten years ago I had to hire a plumber with ground penetrating radar to locate a break in a sewer line. Didn’t take him long at all to find it. After I hired a worker to dig it up his mark was perfect a bit more than four feet deep. Made me think twice about burying a gun as the ground penetrating radar could likely locate it pretty fast. Don’t know how truthful the plumber was after I questioned his $325 fee for at best 15 minutes of work. He justified the cost claiming he has large payments on his $35,000 equipment.