Military Firearm Restoration Corner

UK DOWNGRADES COVID-19; NO LONGER A HIGH CONSEQUENCE INFECTIOUS DISEASEAny of you medical chaps hear of this?

karlunity

I realize that I am not a trained medical person, but, I'm not sure if I can agree with people who keep insisting that this is nothing but a bad flu or cold.

The "high" mortality rate is not the issue. The issue is the severity of the medical problems that those people who have been diagnosed with it have. Note, I said, "diagnosed". I will freely admit and agree that most people who get it will have zero to mild symptoms.

When it's reported that up to 45% of the younger people diagnosed with it get severe symptoms and require hospitalization. Then it starts becoming problematic.

When it's being reported that 15-25% of those who recover suffer from permanently degraded lung capacity, it's a problem. If that's really true, then one never fully recovers. One only "survives" it.

So, it's not necessarily the "high" mortality rate that's the problem. It's the associated medical problems and their long term effects that's the problem.

My Grandfather was a WW1 medic. It was hard to get him to talk about the war but he’d occasionally open up after several beers. I was only about 11 or 12. I over heard him open up about the Spanish Flu with his beer drinking neighbor, a WW2 Vet. Grandpa said the Flu hit the ship on the way home after the war. The boat was packed with returning soldiers and they detoured after leaving France. They were also carrying home French Moroccans. After they left Morocco the Flu spread rapidly. Grandpa said there were no Dr’s, Nurses or a sick bay on the ship and he and a few other medics did their best. I vividly recall Grandpa saying and repeating it twice “ they were dropping like GD flies”. I believe his eyes teared up as he complained about the only medical supplies on board were first aid kits. He told his friend we knew how to dress wounds or splint broken bones but we didn’t know anything about treating diseases. 

Grandpa wasn’t immediately discharged after returning to the USA. He was sent to what he described as tent hospitals somewhere in New York away from populated areas or military bases. I can’t remember the length of time but he and other Medics, Nurses and Doctors had to stay on and take care of soldiers returning with the Flu before being discharged. 

I tend to trust only FC m Dr Hess, or people I know in that field who I know to be honest and my own historical judgement.

In a historical view, unless something is going on that we know nothing of , which is possible, This seems no worse or not as bad as the flu.

Yet...the world and people in the know world wide are strongly reacting to it....which the published numbers of dead simply dont support given he world population.   Something is damn odd  and  I admit I do not understand it

karl

I really wonder if China didn’t do this deliberately to test our and the European response. In the Korean War China was more than willing to sacrifice the lives of the men, can’t say soldiers because many were not trained, given uniforms or even guns. China loaded the men up on Opium, sent them on suicide attacks, more unarmed than armed and tried to overwhelm the South with numbers. Didn’t work but China persisted not caring about wasting human life to achieve their goal of reunification and destroying the US Military. Just makes me wonder if China is willing to sacrifice a million of their population to destroy or test non Communist countries. My fear if this just a test, the next will be even deadlier. 

The timing is interesting. 

China's rise started with Kissinger and Nixon normalizing relations.  Wouldn't surprise me if Bush 1 started the ball rolling, but Clinton really started moving our jobs to China, which was continued through Bush and Obama. Now that our whole economy is hollowed out, Trump is putting a stop to it.

I remember back in about 1981 hearing on the radio an interview with one of the Rockefellers.  He said that "they were moving the economy to a service based one, no longer manufacturing based" or something to that effect.  It was also said that so many years from now, we'll all be selling each other insurance.  So the push was certainly from the top.  People selling to Walmart 15 years ago were told to have China make their goods, and Walmart is like 4 or 8 (I forget) percent of the entire US economy.  And, there was a video and the associated text of Biden going to Moscow around 2009 or 2010 or so and speaking at a engineering convention there.  He told them that "they" (the U.S.) was going to start outsourcing our engineering jobs to Russia, which has excellent engineers willing to work for cheap (in U.S. terms) and that "they" (the U.S.) were going to do for Russian engineers what "they" did for Indian I.T. workers.  All reference to that talk has been scrubbed from the internet, last time I looked for it.

I misremembered 40 year old radio interviews.  Rockefeller said that the American worker was paid too much and they were going to cut the wages in half.  It was another analyst that said we were moving to a service economy and would all be selling each other insurance.  Both came to pass.

Accident my ass ! I’ll never believe it to be anything other than a biological attack On our country.  And as far as corporate greed , both of our worthless parties are to blame. And so far the powers that be ain’t learned a thing and I really have zero faith that they will. There will be some talk and lots of tax dollars pissed away on studies and then nothing but screw America and praise the dollar gotta make our investors happy despite what is good for the country.

Jim

On 3/29/2020 at 10:06 AM, Dr.Hess said:

I misremembered 40 year old radio interviews.  Rockefeller said that the American worker was paid too much and they were going to cut the wages in half.  It was another analyst that said we were moving to a service economy and would all be selling each other insurance.  Both came to pass.

I have a vague recollection of Barry Goldwater saying American workers were over paid. If I remember right as I was a young teenager. Goldwater recanted saying it. He meant union workers were being paid to much compared to non union workers doing the same job. 

I know WAY too many Americans who just plain don't want to work at any job they don't enjoy. Manufacturing? Dirty jobs? Are you kidding? I know plenty of people who could do SOMETHING productive, but the government pays them disability to sit on their butts. No way they'll be a plumber, roofer, electrician, or assembler.

1 hour ago, FC said:

I know WAY too many Americans who just plain don't want to work at any job they don't enjoy. Manufacturing? Dirty jobs? Are you kidding? I know plenty of people who could do SOMETHING productive, but the government pays them disability to sit on their butts. No way they'll be a plumber, roofer, electrician, or assembler.

I’ve known a few people with serious physical disabilities spend money and time with lawyers getting approved. Often taking years going through the process. Yet anybody can apply and be easily approved by claiming to be an alcoholic or drug addict with little or no documentation. One guy in particular died before being approved. He was on a waiting list for a heart transplant. Another that wound up in a wheelchair for life after a botched spine surgery fought the system for over two years. A CSRS rep claimed he was qualified to be an elevator operator and insisted he apply for the job. At the time there was only one known non military elevator operator in federal employment working in the Senate side of the US Capital. Back in the 50’s and through the 60’s. WW2 and Korean War Vets near basket cases were given federal jobs of running an elevator. 

For years before direct deposit I used to deliver monthly checks to POS that their only disability was they didn’t want to work. I had one guy tell me he didn’t like being awakened by an alarm clock. I believe he may have been a mental case. I could write several paragraphs about him. In short he hit the state lottery as a member of a lottery pool. His first pay out was apx 30 G’s then 15,000 a year for 20 years plus his monthly disability. Another a former roofing contractor injured himself in a fall but didn’t appear to have a problem restoring classic cars in his backyard. His neighbor claimed he made over 60,000 restoring a rusted 1950’s Rolls Royce. Neighbor claimed he faked it to feed his pain pill addiction. I only met the guy once after his wife directed me into the backyard to get his signature on a certified letter. He was pulling the engine on a 55 or 56 T-Bird and seemed normal to me. 

I’m a medical layman and there might be reasons I’m unaware of but the amount of disability checks I delivered occasionally when I assisted in what’s best described as a Mexican shantytown was unbelievable. I was told, don’t know if it’s true. Being unable to speak English is/or was qualified one to receive a monthly disability checks. Know it sounds cruel but I took pleasure in delivering certified mail to non US citizens after the law was changed preventing foreigners that never paid into SS collecting disability or retirement. 

I had an area I called my international block. Most were South American immigrants, many working at a nearby hospital or the Alzheimer facility. The working immigrants weren’t the problem. After they got settled in they started bringing in relatives and in no time the SS checks and food stamps started coming. 

Sorry, caught myself keyboard rambling again. Guess I’m bitter after being denied disability after my Cancer diagnosis. Took me over two years and a lawyer to get it. I believe I was ramrodded by a creep in Social Security. In my interview he questioned the amount I was being paid. Previously I was working a lot of overtime, often a six day work week. The rep was pissed I was out earning him. He claimed to have worked very hard for his degree saying he didn’t make that much. Guess I really pissed him off after he questioned my only having a high school education and a semester of JC. Numerous medical records I gave him were lost and notices I was supposed to get never showed up. After my lawyer got a formal hearing. The SS Dr testified “I don’t know why I’m here there is no disputing stage four Cancer”. Lawyer later had to request another hearing after I was approved by the hearing officer but failed to get the benefits. The hearing officer jumped through the bureaucracy and got me an emergency payout. The cluster screw started later after my health insurance demanded reimbursement from Medicare for over a quarter mill in medical bills. It was finally settled and I didn’t have to testify in court. 

A few months ago I was told the Cancer has returned. Second PET Scan said maybe it’s just inflamed tissue so it’s back again for another scan in a couple months being a biopsy is now considered elective surgery. Wish me luck as there is a remote possibility the inflammation in my lungs is Corona Virus. I’m finally scheduled for testing in a few hours from now in a drive-thru facility. The PA got her panties wadded up her ass after I told her I was self medicating for a bad case of the Flu. She tried to tell me I could die from taking a few year old Rx of Plaquenil. She shut up after I told her I heard two MD’s of Fox News that we’re either taking it himself or giving it to family. She went silent after I asked why I didn’t die after being given the Rx a few years ago for arthritis. All I heard was a long exhale and no answer after asking her if I should go back on the injectable blood thinner instead of the pills. I told her a tv Dr claimed medical people working with high risk Corona patients were taking Plaquenil, antibiotics and an injectable blood thinner. Plaquenil is the brand name for Hydroxychloroquine that has just been approved for Corona. Results from France look promising. 

Around 1970  or  71  I was walking to collage l in Brooklyn and there was a storefront  welfare office with a guy or gal on the street  ( sort of like a salesman in Oceanside) calling on College people  or anyone to go in sign up and "get YOUR money"  stick it to the man!!!!  Never went in but a lot did.

karl 

One guy many of us on the board knew didn't work because of depression.  My sister is very sick for a living. Long story, but she weighs about 70 lbs. She says she can't eat nearly any kind of food. She turned down or quit a couple good jobs. She gets very testy about anybody talking about her benefits. My mom was always on the lookout for free government money. People that I run into in my work, "Don't want to make pies", are on "disability", but sure as heck could work many types of jobs, etc.

Our government blows money like a maniac. I suspect lawmakers spend buttloads of money, look to see if it destroys the value of the dollar. Nope! So lets borrow, print, and spend trillions more! It'll be okay! Well, what happens when the paper in our wallets becomes like Venezuela's money, or the Weimar Republic's Mark- worthless! I don't see good coming from any of this. At some point we are in for a very hard fall! I suspect there will only be one option- a global currency where the world will start from scratch.

First off good luck Az. Next I hope Trump back hands China for this mess , I’d like to see him inform the culls that because of the China virus being they’re fault our debt to them is zero now and they need to suck on that a spell, not gonna happen but needs to.

Jim

3 hours ago, karlunity said:

Around 1970  or  71  I was walking to collage l in Brooklyn and there was a storefront  welfare office with a guy or gal on the street  ( sort of like a salesman in Oceanside) calling on College people  or anyone to go in sign up and "get YOUR money"  stick it to the man!!!!  Never went in but a lot did.

karl 

Several years ago I saw tents being erected on corners with a big sign “free cell phones” or more commonly known as Bama Phones. After forking up the screen on my cell and headed to a T-Mobile store. I saw a tent with flags and the free sign and drove in. After asking how to get a free phone he handed me a clipboard telling me to fill it out, show me your SNAP (food stamps) card and you will be on your way with a new phone with free minutes. After telling him I didn’t have one he asked if I was getting any “aid” from the state and all he needs is a letter and numbers from my case worker. The conversation ended after he told me I didn’t qualify. Before I could drive away another guy offered me a hundred bucks cash if I let them install a new windshield. All he needed was my proof of insurance card so he could verify my insurance.