Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Removing blood stains

swamprat

Well, if the blood stains are only a little over 30 years old, I guess it would be OK to polish them out.

Heaven forbid if this was a WW2 knife (a relic) for if you did anything to it, it would (in addition to numerous world shaking events) create a colossal barage from those of the culture of preservationists (aka Parallaxers).

fritz

This is the knife I carried in Viet-Nam. Sorry to say I think the blood stains are my own. Just thought I'd clean it up one of these winter days. No history here. But even if there was, it's my knife and I'll do with it as I please! Maybe I'll weld it to the barrel of my Waffen stamped all matching 98 and post a picture over at Bill's. ohmy.gif

Swamprat

I too think that the stains will polish out with a liberal application of elbow grease. Maybe you could try some Flitz metal polish...great stuff, I swear by it!

Also, just in case any of y'all ever need to get blood stains out of most cloth, hydrogen peroxide works great! I learned this from working in a hospital in my misspent youth.

I got to try it on a very lovely white couch that we had. My sister and I got into a huge fistfight...which was typical for us until we were in our 20s, believe it or not. I tripped over a wired remote, and fell onto my sister's fist, which, lucky for her, was braced between the arm of the couch and the face I threw upon it. Blood from my nose spurted everywhere as my sister leapt up and ran away from home for three days until I was no longer mad at her. I stopped the bleeding and went to the store for the largest bottle of hydrogen peroxide I could find.

Thankfully, I managed to get to the stains within an hour or so, and they weren't really very difficult to remove. I was strongly motivated by the fear of my Dad coming home and seeing his couch covered in blood. He never knew a thing...well, except for the evidence of my messed up face!

So there, a lovely testimonial, as I am sure you'll all agree! LOL!