Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hotrod

odies dad

Looks good.  I went to high school with Randy Grubb, who built Jay Leno's "Tank Car."    Or, Jay Leno bought the Blastoline from Randy.  In high school, he built a 32 Ford coupe with a flat head Ford V8, six pack, magneto, etc.   He said he was building it as a 1950's hot rod would have been made, with nothing that was post 1950's.  That was in the late  70's.

Back in the 60’s a guy I went to school with restored a Model A short bed truck. If I remember right it had a 4-cyl engine he rebuilt in our high school auto shop. After getting his greetings from the draft board he sold it to Desilu studios. His younger brother claimed to have seen it parked on a street in the Untouchables tv show.  

Hot heads has about everything you need for hemis. 

Many of the old hemis have the same bolt pattern and the Chevy transmission bolt patterns are all the same. Just takes a bunch of money and you can get about anything you want. Adapter runs about $500. Most every part you need is about $500. SB Chevy is much cheaper but not as cool. 

I seem to recall after Chrysler adopted the Torque-Flite transmission some time in the 50’s. All Mopar engines had the same bolt pattern including the Slant Six all the way up to the 426 Hemi. I’m guessing but I think it started about 1957 with the introduction of the push button Tranny selector. Reaching into the grey matter. The first push button selector started about 55 or 56 with the pre Torque-Flite two speed automatic used on high end models. I think it was 57 the three speed Torque-Flite was standard on all Mopars with an automatic transmission. 

I'm addicted to YouTube. 

I come up with an idea and research it on YouTube to find out it won't work. Then I modify the idea, research it on YouTube to find out that it won't work either. Keep repeating this process until you give up and just watch the YouTube videos. 

I figured that might be the place , but couldn’t recall the name of it but used to see they’re ads in the magazines a lot.

What you doing to the 79 Ford ? I’m playing with a 83 short wide bed . Started life as a 300 six AOD. I bought a wrecked Cobra mustang and stuck a Lunati cam and a Holley on the 5.0 and stuck it and the T-5 in the F150 along with a set of 4.10’s in the rear. It’s fun , sometimes I wish I had taken the time to have converted it over to F. I but I’m old school. Needs paint if I ever can.

Then there’s the 67 Belvedere setting in the shop waiting on a 440 or a new owner..... to many projects.

I determined that I have sufficient automotive projects to last me the rest of my life.  A new project comes by and I just let it pass.

In the garage, I have (Work in Progress or Waiting):

1970 Lotus Europa, built a new frame, putting a turbocharged Toyota motor and Toyota 5 speed in it.

1974 Lotus Europa Special TCS. 

2000 Locost (Home built Lotus 7 clone, about 90% done with it, lack finishing wiring and making the back fenders.)

Stretched, raked Harley based hard tail chopper. 

I got a 79 Chevy and a 79 Ford about the same time this spring. 

I'm taking turns with them as daily drivers. Right now, the starter went out on the Ford and I am working up the gumption to replace it. I just got a 12,000# winch that will mount to the receiver hitch and just got it put together yesterday. 

Both trucks need a little work on the floor pans and some body work but other than the starter going out, they run and drive great. They are old enough that I can work on them without having to use a computer.