Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7x57 build

rdm1962

I need to check out the 7x57 reamer and gauges from the co-op  I sent Tanglewood a PM about 10 days ago. I read in another thead he was having computer issues. I figured I would just start a new topic in case he isn't getting PMs. Rod please check your messages. Thanks Ralph

I'm building a 7x57 on a Turk. I have 2 stocks on hand. One I cut to short a few years ago. The other is LOP for me. 

The short one will be for my Grandson to use when he is older. I can develop a reduced power load with the full length stock. I'll then switch to the to the shorty and set up a scope for his eye relief. I can drop it into the the full length one later as needed. 

I picked up a new Adams & Barrnet off eBay about 6 or 8 years ago. I knew I would do this build someday.

Doc. you can order one from ER Shaw to any spec you desire. Their cost isn't too outrageous. 

Huh.  Looks like about $200 from Shaw direct.  That's not that bad.  Brownells lists Green Mountain barrels at half that, but always out of stock.  I called Green Mountain up and they will make you any barrel you want, like a direct replacement for a small ring Spanish Mauser, for example, but the minimum order quantity is 100.  I strongly suspect the per unit price at that qty would be sub $60. 

• 3 weeks later...

That looks like a pretty good price today.  I have a couple boxes of "store bought" 7x57 around.  I try not to shoot it.  My shooting preference is:  1. Cast powder coated reloads, 2. Store bought bullet (hollow point, soft point, etc.) reloads, 3. Factory ammo.  Costs being around 10 cents, 30 cents, 75 cents a pop.  I have all that 30-06 blank brass I converted to 7x57 that you gave me.   Oh, and I bought another RCBS JR3 identical to the one I bought in the mid 70's at a thrift shop for... wait for it... $15.  Came with one primer arm and a shell holder. Don't really need it, but now I have a spare.

And I just got a shipment notice from Midway that my small ring Shilen 7x57 barrel just went out.  Woot.  Ordered it months ago.  Now to decide what action to put it on, the Spanish or the Chilean.  Kinda leaning Chilean.

13 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

And I just got a shipment notice from Midway that my small ring Shilen 7x57 barrel just went out.  Woot.  Ordered it months ago.  Now to decide what action to put it on, the Spanish or the Chilean.  Kinda leaning Chilean.

Been way more years ago than I want to count but I had bad luck with Spanish M98 actions. The Chilean most likely German manufactured and originally chambered in 7X57 would be my choice. 

On 8/9/2020 at 7:45 AM, rdm1962 said:

I picked up a new Adams & Barrnet off eBay about 6 or 8 years ago. I knew I would do this build someday.

Doc. you can order one from ER Shaw to any spec you desire. Their cost isn't too outrageous. 

I have two rifles with Shaw barrels and I’m totally satisfied with both. Once upon a time and possibly they still do. Shaw was selling barrel kits that included headspace gauges. I bought a Shaw kit in 458 Winnie for a Savage and it also included a barrel wrench with the gauges. Probably close to 20 years ago I put a 338 Winnie Shaw barrel into a Santa Barbra action. It settled down after about 30-40 rds (ouch) and began shooting tight groups at 200 yards. Don’t know if he’s still there at Shaw. A guy named Chris that usually answered the phone. He was like a human encyclopedia when asked about barrels and actions. 

On 9/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, Sailormilan2 said:

FWIW, Shaw is having a Labor Day sale from now through Labor Day. 15% off.

Been over ten years but Shaw’s blueing was reasonable and it turned out pretty good. The only catch it has to involve a Shaw product or service. If you install a Shaw barrel, send it and they will blue the entire project. I sent them my Savage I installed a 458 Winchester barrel I bought as a kit from Sportsman’s Guide. I also had them install iron sights and a muzzle brake. I don’t want to even guess what I paid but do recall it was very reasonable and less than a 30 day turn around. I just can’t emphasize the knowledge their employee Chris had especially on Mauser actions. I got to meet him at the last NRA Convention here in Phoenix in the vendor area. 

• 4 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, Horsefly said:

I keep coming back to look at your rifle. Did you remove the charger hump and machine the safety ? Way nice work and rifle. Congratulations on job well done. 

Thanks Horsefly. Yes I removed the charging hump. It's a Turk action. I removed the handguard ring at the front of the receiver. I did the Wismer safety on the shroud also. All the work was done with a Dremal and files. I did a lot of measuring with caliper and a micromiter. The only thing I farmed out was having the bolt handle welded. It was done by Clemson several years ago. This has been in the works for about 5 years.