Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mil-surp rifles, Mausers, M-1 Carbines etc

AzRednek

13 minutes ago, ken98k said:

I may have made some very good investment it seems.

Me too BUT think of all you passed over. When I joined this group more years ago than I want to count. There was a lot of pissing and moaning about East European Mausers, Czech BRNO and 98/22’s especially going up in price to $69.99. After President Reagan over turned Jimmy Carter’s ban on imports of military rifles the market was flooded especially after the collapse of the Soviet control over East Europe. Wish I would have had the storage space and the foresight. I’d be enjoying a more comfortable retirement. Some shooting buds of mine from the 70’s literally made a killing on NFA arms, Thompsons especially. My blind friend paid a few bucks short of a thousand out the door for his genuine select fire Colt M-16 A1 in the mid 80’s. He has already declined a few $20,000+ offers as he’s holding out for 25. At the time I was the sole support of a blended family of six and couldn’t afford it. 

Two guns in particular I passed on in the late 70’s that will always stick in my mind. A Springfield 1950’s refurbed H&R M-1 Garrand for only $175. Second was a mint German made Venezuelan 7X57 Mauser carbine with matching number bayonet for $80.00. Both rifles as I reached the end of the gun show decided to buy but as you likely guessed when I returned were sold. I’ll always remember the Venezuelan as the most beautiful Mauser I’ve ever eye balled. Deep bluing, the bolt was highly polished and the wood was simply perfect having the pre-64 Winchester reddish tinge.