Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Masks

FC

Mask mandates have really struck me badly, but besides being harder to breathe. I was made to wear a mask during a haircut! So now one of the few things government hasn’t regulated, my lung function, is no longer my choice?! 

I'm not thrilled about it either. Masks have been mandatory at work for more than 3 months now. We don't allow any outside vendors or service people in the plant. All truck drivers are required to be masks when entering the shipping lobby. We just had our first recorded infection last week. The masks may or may not work. I think this will run it's course just in time for the next flu season. 

I took my frustration over the mask policy on a cashier. A few days ago I had another fall and it feels like every bone in my body is hurting. Yesterday I went to Dollar General and struggled through the walk in the parking lot. Greeting me at the front door was a large sign saying no admittance without a mask. Back to my car, drove home and got a N95 mask. Drove back to the store, put my mask on and another long walk in the parking lot. As I entered the store I discovered at best 50% had masks on. After a long wait in line due to a 30 second power outage awaiting the cash register and scanner to come back on line. I was painfully struggling to stand in line and in a real pissed off mood. I jumped all over the cashier about the sign and the majority of the customers don’t have a mask on. She wittingly put me in place, cutting me off  saying “sorry I just work here”. She told me to call the toll free number on the bottom of the receipt, they’re the ones that sent the sign.

As I thought about it on the way home. A mask policy that’s not enforced. My guess the sign from their corporate office was likely placed for liability protection. It wouldn’t surprise me if Whiplash Willies are dumping lawsuits on behalf of China Virus patients on businesses that don’t have a face mask or social distance policy. It might be impossible to prove where one caught the virus. Something I learned years ago while working for Farmers Insurance. All one needs is a sharp lawyer that persuades a jury to have pity on the claimant. 

I read one sign that said something to the affect that masks are mandatory but there are several medical exemptions. Because of HIPPA privacy laws, we can not ask you about your medical condition so if you are not wearing a mask, we will assume that you have a medical reason not to. 

These medical exemptions are things like breathing problems, high blood pressure, anxiety, etc. 

There’s a couple in Phoenix that uses the disability as a means of protesting  the mask policy for YouTube videos. I don’t know if they really have a health issue. No complaints from me though. The couple is active in leading and organizing pro Trump, 2A and anti BLM and Antifa protests. The couple is also active attempting to open schools.

My personal feeling is there should be more emphasis on good ol’fashion regular soap and water hand washing but that likely is from my experience dealing with the Antrax scare and the govt’s piss poor response. I’m no expert but it seems to the masks are a breeding ground for virus and bacteria in the warm moist environment. We hear a lot about wearing masks but I haven’t heard anything about maintaining the cleanliness of the masks. A few weeks ago I read on a local group. A lady ordered what was advertised on the net as a reusable face mask with a layer of activated charcoal. She discovered when it arrived the tag said “dry clean only”. I didn’t ask but my guess they tag also said made in China. Nearly useless in my mind compared to a mask one could toss in their washing machine daily.