Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Shelves still wiped out

FC

My son and I were Bass Pro & Academy on Sunday. We joked that I have more handguns in my safe than they had in their display cases. They were wiped out on ammo also. 

It's a sellers market now. If you have something you want to sell nows the time to move it. I'm going to my areas largest gun show Saturday. I've got a few things that don't get shot much. I'm going to try and make a windfall on them. I give a report on my success after. 

I just can’t imagine where it’s all going. I’m sure the manufactures are cranking it out as fast as they can but only small quantities are showing up on the retail level and sells out quickly. A YouTube video I watched a few days ago mentioned ammo manufactures are having a difficult time getting the raw materials like brass, lead and copper. He mentioned the name of a small manufacturer whose name I can’t recall. Shutting down and furloughed their employees for the lack of raw materials and primers. 

As I’ve previously mentioned I’ve been searching the net for ammo nearly every day. When it does appear its oddball brand names. Where is the Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Federal and other biggies capable of cranking out a combined total of hundreds of thousands rds daily. I’m sure the conspiracy nuts have some crazy govt and right wing rednecks involved theories but I’d really like to know where the hell is all the ammo.

10 hours ago, FC said:

Amazing.. I wonder how long guns and ammo will be wiped out? 

Best I can tell there are plenty of guns available and for sale, long guns especially if one is willing to pay the rip-off prices. Store front retailers have bare shelves but via the net to local FFL’s there are plenty.

13 hours ago, FC said:

What’s up with limited metals?

Just something I saw on a YouTube video, unsure of the details. Lead will always be a problem after Obozo’s EPA closed the only lead processing facility in the USA. All raw lead now has to be imported or purchased from recyclers. Possibly it has changed since Trump ended a lot of BS regulations but I haven’t heard anything. 

Gun show report. Prices were up by 10-15%, supply of ammo fair. Several dealers didn't even come. As there were a few empty tables. A few of the dealers I know said the July show was crazy. The one dealer sold 400+ at that show.

The crowd was small for noon on Saturday. I did flip a Marlin in 44 Magnum I had. I bought that 444 this past spring. The 44 mag. didn't have a place any more. I got $600 for it without a scope or sling. 

I’ve not really been looking around here but I had to go into our closest little small town Walmart a few days back and was surprised to see the gun rack full, rim fire, center fire and shotguns all long guns of course.

Little to no rifle ammo but lots of shotgun fodder mostly light stuff.

Stopped in at Orscheln farm and home across the road from Walmart and they had a fair amount of ammunition not everything but a few boxes of most and even bricks of 22 

On 9/1/2020 at 5:20 PM, The Zen Master said:

I hate to say this gentlemen, but I have a ton of ammo, components, powder and primers, and it is too damned miserably hot here to go shoot any of it. I just found 4000 Federal 210M primers today that I forgot I had (I just cant believe this actually happens when a person gets old - and that cancer drug sucks and just screwed my memory). I've been looking online for weeks for those exact primers for my 6mm Remington. :angry:

Whenever I could, I bought a thousand rounds of what I shoot, or a couple of 8-lb jugs of powder and just stashed it.

I am glad I did, that's for sure. I've seen bad but I've never seen anything like this.

Karl don’t know what kind of Cancer drug but I can share my experience with the Chemo. My memory took a real nose dive and it did improve with time but never fully recovered. I scored in the 90th percentile for the USPS Civl Service exam which tested memory and numerical sequence. There is about a 50% failure rate on the test that required a minimum of 70% to pass. I very seriously doubt I could pass it today coupled with old age. Hell I have trouble remembering where my car keys are. I forced myself not to get angry when I forget. I take my mind completely off what I’m trying to recall, stay calm and often what I’m trying to remember comes back later. 

On 9/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, FC said:

Good move on your part. Guy at work showed me the insane price for 9mm on the so-called Cheaper than Dirt. 

I think it was Graf &Sons today had 50rd box of 40 S&W for $72.00. I got a definite confirmation today an order of mine for 9 mill is missing. Likely mis delivered or porch pirates. My address labels say DEL TO CARPORT DONT LEAVE IN FRONT. Apx half still go to front door. 

Remington plenty of reasonably priced reloading components.

https://shop.remington.com/rem_en_us/components.html?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+15%+OFF+Ammunition+Components+-+Labor+Day+Sale&utm_content=Labor+Day+Sale+-+15%+OFF+Ammunition+Components&utm_campaign=Rem+2020+Labor+Day+Sale&_bta_tid=42055468085476429281285461852368244723328996152186218883279074899625750402193812734072388051405662361127