Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another 30/06

Sailormilan2

I had some parts lying around, and an A&B barrel that a guy said he wanted, but could never come up with the money for. So, being bored one day, I put everything together on a DWM '98 action, along with one of the "engraved" Parker Hale/ Santa Barbara trigger guards. Then parkerized the whole thing. What ever alloys PH/SB uses doesn't work well with parkerizing. Color came out a mid grey, rather than black. Looks ok though.

The object was to have a spare hunting rifle. Well, my lefty son's Remington 700 trigger is acting up. Put it in the shop, and there's about 300 rifles ahead of his to be worked on.

So, I remembered that I had a left handed Mauser stock. So, I finished inletting it, bedded it. Here it is with 2 coats of TruOil. Since this is a hunting rifle, I didn't polish the wood as I normally do. Only went to #320 grit. Sanding dust was left on, and the TruOil rubbed on to mix with the dust.

There's no sheen yet. I may put a 3rd coat on this evening and burnish with steel wool tomorrow. I still need to do the inletting for the bolt handle, and install swivel studs.

20200830_110705.jpg

20200830_110648.jpg

A bit more information about the stock. It's a Richards MicroFit blem. There were two big cracks in it, which Richards MicroFit had filled with something. I filled the inside of the crack with some 20 minute hobby epoxy.

Here's the stock. 4 coats of hand rubbed TruOil. Allowed to dry overnight, then buffed with an old washrag, and a good coat of Johnson's paste wax rubbed on and buffed.

20200831_095323.jpg

20200831_095306.jpg

12 hours ago, manureman said:

Nice work , wish I had your talent!

Me too, good job!! Your mentioning S/B P/H metal. Years ago I think it was Z1R mentioned or complained maybe about their receivers being very hard and difficult to work with. 

About a year or better ago I posted a photo of a Mauser left hand bolt conversion I saw at my gun club. I looked for it but couldn’t find it. Might be worth looking into for your southpaw son. The bolt still turned right but a gear set up enabled it to work from the left. Somebody posted being aware of it. 

Several years ago I started a 257 Bob Mauser project for my granddaughter. Before I finished I learned she was a lefty and bought her a left handed Savage 7/08 instead. Unfortunately she lost interest in hunting but her younger brother is also a lefty and appears to be really anxious to hunt big game. Here he his in the photo his mom posted on Facebook. His first Dove he got this past Monday afternoon. I gave him the left handed shotgun this past Christmas. He put the shotgun to good use but being a typical kid with a semi and dad buying his shells. He has to learn to be a bit frugal and not take three shots at every bird. I miss having him for a bird dog and had to retrieve my own Dove this season. 

4B7AFE8F-4292-4CB7-8957-681A70F824A9.jpeg