Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Flame birch M14 stock

Sailormilan2

Just picked up a figured birch stock for one of my M14 rifles.  I don't really need it, but it's got the potential to be really nice if finished right. I'm not a fan of really pale stocks, so I have to decide if I should dye it(birch doesn't stain well with oil based stains), or leave it be.

Anyway, here's before cleaning and after cleaning pics. Nothing has been done except to clean it. 

SachsA.jpg

SachsB.jpg

FlameBirchC.jpg

FlameBirchD.jpg

Guess it’s my personal preference. I like it as is in the after picture. If it were mine I’d rub in linseed, leave it then touch it up every year or so with a light rub down with more linseed. In the early 70’s I rubbed linseed oil the same Im told as the US military did in a late 20 or early 30’s 03 Springfield stock. Now with about 40 years of aging it really looks good but keep in mind my 03 stock is walnut. With Birch as they say, your mileage may vary. Just my opinion, you won’t be satisfied until you do it your way. 

Just a suggestion, smooth out a small section in the barrel channel that can’t be seen when stock is installed. Stain the section then see how you like it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great job that attests to your persistence and patience. It is my understanding, correct me if I’m wrong that beginning with the M-14 the US GI stocks were treated with something other than the linseed oil finish of earlier US rifle stocks. I didn’t have your patience and took the lazy man’s way on my US GI rifle stocks. I washed them with hot water and laundry detergent. After they dried I simply rubbed in linseed oil.

My 10/09 dated 03 Springfield with a 1930’s stock and WW2 era replacement hand guard. Looks pretty good today. The clouding and age of the linseed oil finish gives it some OEM character.