Military Firearm Restoration Corner

93, 95 spanish mauser ?

724wd

ok, lets say there is a Spanish Mauser, small ring 93 or 95. The steel should be fine, right? the trouble the Spanish had was with the overhardened large rings, right? i know, i know, small rings are not as "safe" as large rings. not concerned right now. just want to know if there is anything to watch for with the steel on a Spanish small ring.

heath

The spanish made mausers generaly suck with regards to metalurgy or maybe more correctly heat treatment. The SR mausers tended to run soft. This leaves them prone to setback. Watch for it.

there really is no way to check for setback without pulling the barrel, is there?

here's the deal. a guy i know mentioned that he has a Spanish Hornet (never heard that term before) small ring 7x57 (possibly Oveida?). he is kinda looking to get rid of it and i heard him say $25. i have emailed for more info. my idea would be light weight plinker. if the barrel is good, shorten it and contour out the steps, create a gas deflection ring for the shroud, machine 2 gas ports in the bolt, light stock with blind magazine, that sort of thing....

if a small ring had gas deflection shroud like a 98 and gas ports like a 98, would that not make them more "safe" like a 98? if i am not mistaken, those are the major changes that make a 98 "safer". i am not talking about chambering for 300 win mag, but 7x57 type cartridges without as much worry about a face full of hot gas...

If you can get it that cheap and it is a nice gun, then heck, you could even afford to have it heat treated if there are existing problems with it.

That said, let's assume it is ok. I'd recommend just using 7x57 loads at about the 45K cup limit that is SAMMI speced for it. That will be the easiest way to lower the likelyhood of issues. Handload for it, and pay attention to case length to limit brass stretch and possible case head seperations and I think you will be pleased. the 7x57 even at lower pressure is still a very potent round.

I have a 9.3x57 on a Swedish 96 action. The Norma factory loads are loaded to 43,500 PSI. I had a primer pierced on Sunday with no issues. Of course, I was wearing glasses. Had pressures been higher I don't think the outcome would have been so happy. So, i think at these pressures which the actions were designed for, you are ok with minimal risk provided you use the appropriate cautions.

Coincidentally, I had a blown primer in a 6mm rem on K98 action. It was a factory load that let go at the corner of the cup. Obviously a defect. I love the way the 98 redirects that gas. I'm glad that one wasn't a SR.

The one thing everyone always overlooks when they think of 98izing a SR is the 98's inner "C" ring. This was one of the major safety improvements. The SR's lack this. The "C" helps to contain and redirect gas. The gas in a 96 is free to rush right past the boltface.

I suppose you could make all those changes you outlined but I would not waste my time. I would simply respect the fact that it is a 96 and limit my presuures accordingly. If you really want a 98 then get one. That's my view (opinion) anyway. You know what that's worth. wink.gif

Let me just say this, at $25, even if it turns out to be junk, you can easily sell the parts for twice what you paid. You can't loose.

Good to hear you're thinking similarly. I think it could make a fine little rifle if used within its limits. Best of luck!

The one thing everyone always overlooks when they think of 98izing a SR is the 98's inner "C" ring.  This was one of the major safety improvements.  The SR's lack this.  The "C" helps to contain and redirect gas.  The gas in a 96 is free to rush right past the boltface.

I suppose you make all thos echanges you outlined but I would not waste my time.  I would simply respectthe fact that it is a 96 and limit my presuures accordingly.  if you really want a 98 then get one.  That's my view (opinion) anyway.  You know what that's worth.  wink.gif

7304[/snapback]

now that's some info i didn't know! of course i would still respect the pressure limits, but never having had the opportunity to dissasemble a small ring, i have been walking around all this time not knowing! cool! learn somethin' new every day! Hopefully he still has it...it was about 3 weeks ago i talked to him...

724, if you haven't already check this post. The hang tag came off of a Spanish Mauser. I'm specualting and just a guess on the Hornet name but years ago importers or in the real good old days of mail order. Importers that spotorized military rifles would sometimes market it with a name similiar to something like the CETME Black Widow.

As Z said you can't lose for 25 bux. I sold some parts apx 18 months ago on Ebay off of a 93/95 Oveido Mauser and got a good price on everything. Don't recall exactly but got around 35-45 for the rusted bolt assembly and over 20 each for the trigger guard and stock. I got numerous messages and offers through Ebay's email looking for other parts especially the ejector.

http://mfrc.sizzlyhosting.com/index.php?showtopic=1302

I got 93 Spanish Mausers for 2/$15 last year at a gunshow.

My brother got a sporterized 1895 Chilean with bad stock for $25.

I put the one of the Spanish stocks on the Chilean and made a Manliker out of it.

The 93 Spanish stock fits the 1895 Chilean fairly well.

THe Chilean is a great action, but the 93 Spanish don't look like they are worth my time.

Do you see what that uncle did to you looking back at it now. If he had just let that mauser rest in the shop the addiction would have probably never started. Oh well, time cannot be erased, and the bug bit, so you are now doomed to the sickness of where can I find just one more. It will follow you to the grave my friend, so just give in to the whims and never pass a gun shop or gun show by without stopping. Enjoy the sickness. swamp_thing

Guest Greg S.

I have a sporterized 1895 Chilean Mauser in 7X57. The barrel is shot. I want to replace it with a .308 and install a chamber adapter I got from EA Brown so that I can shoot 7.62X39, can anyone add some input to help me in this project.

Greg,you may want to rethink the idea of putting a .308 barrel on your '95.The small rings just aren't built for the higher pressure.You'll find that the barrel makers don't sell barrels for small-rings unless kept in the 45,000 cup range.You can buy 7x57,.257 Roberts,6.5x55,.250 Savage,and so on.I own a couple .308's and 7x57's,and you'll not be gaining a thing going to .308,and your gun will be safer to shoot.I love '95 Chilians and 96 Swedes too,but please don't push your luck using a too high pressure caliber.Remember,if an action turns loose,your bolt is aimed right between your eyes.Maybe some of the real gunsmiths will chime in.Welcome to the board,this is a great place to hang out!Jerry

I have a sporterized 1895 Chilean Mauser in 7X57. The barrel is shot. I want to replace it with a .308 and install a chamber adapter I got from EA Brown so that I can shoot 7.62X39, can anyone add some input to help me in this project.

If I remember correctly the 7.62 x39 is actually a .311 caliber rather than .308!

That insert scares me as someone will pull it and shoot .308 win or Nato probably with disasterous results.

I too agree that the 7.62x39 is in fact a .311 bullet. It would seem that it might be better to find a barrel chambered for this round and not use the adapter in this project. You could always find something that is chambered for 308 with a large ring receiver for using the adapter. Of course you still have the bore differences, but at least the adapter would be in a stronger recieiver. Just my opinion and it is your project so take it for what it is worth. swamp_thing

Aren't 7.62x39 Mauser barrels available? Seems like I've seen them somewhere. It was either Midway, Numrich, or eBay that had them.

I think you could do this with the correct barrel and no insert if you looked around alittle. Inserts can fall out and I think you'd end up happier with the correct barrel.

Jason

Using the 7.62x39 in a mauser action will limit you to a single shot, unless you are willing to undergo major modifications to the extractor and the magazine well.

fritz