Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ammo is getting hard to find.

karlunity

Now I reload and got the makings for a while. But ammo is getting harder and far more costly to find.

I am hearing rather odd things as well. The times are not normal so I think I may skip the range a bit or only find one that allows handloads and keep my ammo for serious need.

karl

9 hours ago, rdm1962 said:

I know it happens, but I find it strange that ranges wouldn't allow reloads. Is it because they want to sell customers factory ammo at an inflated price? 

Guess if they don’t allow reloads, save your factory boxes to store your hand loads and sneak it in as new. My indoor range to which I’m an annual member. Has free gun rentals for members but I have to buy and use their over priced ammo. Their expensive ammo is usually S&B, Precision or other oddball brands, always FMJ.  I haven’t been there since before the panic buying. I don’t know how they’re handling it now or if they even have the ammo. My range was renting full autos if one bought their ammo. I imagine with the ammo shortage they likely stopped. 

I’ve heard some ranges from net chatter prohibit scrounging your own brass. It’s stealing far as I’m concerned. Leaving ones rifle brass behind could be very costly. No way I’d leave behind belted mag or any rifle brass. I’d take it home anyway and let them 86 me for keeping my own property.

Hello rmd1962

I have been given several replies. Some do think it that the range wants to sell ammo yet they allow Walmart win in the white box.

I was told the problem is a lot of guys dont know how to reload and the range fears being sued if someone is hurt and having that policy protects the range.

Another guy told me that people use reloads in their rentals and that harms the rentals if the rounds are not loaded right

I suspect, given the times, that the second if the real reason

karl

Hello Az

I agree given the price of brass, especially say k-31 Mas 36  or loadable Mosin brass it is stealing.  The days of 100  of say K31 cases for 25 bucks are gone.

If I cannot get my brass, I will also go somewhere else

4 hours ago, FC said:

I'm stunned that there's few bullets, and few reloading dies available. It's like toilet paper, part 2.

More like part 2 of the Obozo shortages. I made a killing during that time frame buying anything for reloading off of Craig’s List or Backpage then putting it on EBay. 

All you hand loaders should start hoarding lead. Lead automotive wheel weights are now a rare commodity. As long as China continues buying our scrap metal and Obozo’s EPA closing the only lead processing plant in the country. Lead prices are getting crazy. Bullet molds are scarce but if you’re persistent they are out there. 

Tin used to harden lead bullets price is crazy also. Last time I checked a few years ago. A one pound roll of tin solder was close to 20 bucks. Don’t recall the numbers but tin solder at Radio Shack was way beyond ridiculous. I almost cried using up nearly all my tin solder replacing a hot water heater and some of its copper plumbing. I wasn’t to proud to sweep up and scrounge the drippings on the floor. 

I mostly shoot at a Missouri Dept of Conversation range. You can keep your own brass and other shooter can give you theirs. The people who don't want their brass sweep them up and put them in provided 5gal. buckets. This is then the"property" of the MDC  I keep a cloth bag in my range bag. I dig out all I can Before they tell me to stop. There are a few old timers there that know me. They usually don't bother. I come home with over a 100 pieces more than I whent with. I don't even care what caliber, I just grab handfuls. I'll hang on to the orphans just in case I buy a gun that will take it later. 

Ammo shortage may effect Deer season. The shelves are bare and it looks like there is very little in the pipeline Panic is setting in. The guys at work that know I reload have asked me for some help.  No problem, I have plenty of components on hand. I cranked out 40 rounds of 30-30 & 243 for them.

I told one guy no, he's a real a-hole. He asked if I could load some 308's. I told him "sorry I don't load for 308". That was a lie. I load for it and have plenty components. This guy is such a jerk I wouldn't do anything for him. I hope he finds some but at a huge markup and then doesn't see anything to take a shot at. 

10 hours ago, rdm1962 said:

Ammo shortage may effect Deer season. The shelves are bare and it looks like there is very little in the pipeline Panic is setting in. The guys at work that know I reload have asked me for some help.  No problem, I have plenty of components on hand. I cranked out 40 rounds of 30-30 & 243 for them.

I told one guy no, he's a real a-hole. He asked if I could load some 308's. I told him "sorry I don't load for 308". That was a lie. I load for it and have plenty components. This guy is such a jerk I wouldn't do anything for him. I hope he finds some but at a huge markup and then doesn't see anything to take a shot at. 

As I’ve mentioned before I’ve been searching the net early every morning looking for ammo. Nearly everything I’ve found for sale are FMJ’s. I did come across some foreign made 30/06 soft point last week. I attempted to buy two boxes but as I went from shopping cart to pay, it was gone that quick. Likely from dealers placing orders for large quantities. Hunters may have to do like they did back in the 50’s when US GI 06 was dirt cheap. Get their files out and expose a lead tip to stay legal. Back in the late 70’s while getting a license and tag check while deer hunting. The game warden asked to see our ammo. We were all in good shape no FMJ but it’s something we have to be aware of. In Arizona if one is caught violating the rules their hunting privileges are often suspended for a year. My guess game wardens like cops are anxious to write tickets just to show they are being productive and doing their job.  

Years ago I had a PIA neighbor everybody in my cul de sac called holy roller John. He got his kicks turning anybody into authorities. Be it neighbored services for something as silly as leaving their garbage can out a day to long or putting it out a day early. I had a very friendly German Shepard that greeted everybody in the cul de sac when they pulled in their driveway often with a ball in his mouth wanting to play fetch. The dog pound showed up one day with two cops after he reported a dangerous mad dog. One afternoon I was casting bullets. I was doing it the old fashion way by dumping a marble sized ball of lube into the pot creating a large cloud off smoke. Cops showed up after I was reported for running a meth lab. I could write several paragraphs about the creep. My X was a cop and she pulled up several reports showing the complaints came from the PIA’s phone number.

Several weeks after the meth lab incident. He showed up at my door with a box of wheel weights wanting me to cast him some 38 and 9’s. Just like RDM there was no way I’d do anything for him. A few days later he showed up wanting to barrow my casting equipment. Told him no I gave it all away. He had the nerve to ask if I had anything else I was giving away. I couldn’t confront him about his chickenshit complaints without getting my X into trouble. The creep’s father in law died leaving his wife enough they moved into a country club. He made sure to rub it in by visiting with his restored Mustang convertible. No way he could afford it he worked at a large Christian church. He claimed he was in charge of engineering but a neighbor that attended that church said he was the maintenance supervisor. Supervising one employee and the volunteers doing janitors work. I know I’m wondering off track keyboard rambling again. In our cul de sac we had a 88 year old Jew. Holy Roller John constantly pestered him to convert and join his church’s Jews for Jesus program. The old man threw a going away barbeque after he moved out. 

My apologies guys for the keyboard rambling. I’m stuck at home bored to death as my eyesight took a dump. I’m awaiting to be scheduled for a biopsy of whatever the hell it is going on behind my left eyeball. I’m afraid to drive as my depth perception is gone. Fortunately my master eye is still working as long as I close my left. So I can still aim and shoot but now I’m relying on my shotgun with a laser just in case the bad guys show up. Getting old SUX!! I’ll be 70 in a few weeks.

We had a PITA neighbor like that when we lived  in League City.  Always complaining to the home owners' association.  I let into them once, and they stopped sending BS letters from his complaints after that, mostly.  So he started calling the police instead.  A-hole.  We live in the woods now, in basically an illegal subdivision outside of any city jurisdiction or HOA.

Hope everything works out OK for your eyesight, Dave.