Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Arisaka Sporterizing

TLynn

mrbeaz

(6/12/05 9:33)

Reply Arisaka Sporterizing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have accumulated a mid-war type 99 Arisaka receiver, and aftermarket sporter stock. After wheelin and dealin, this cost me practically nothing. So I was wondering. what are some options. I could find a original 7.7 barrel, or does anyone know if a 6.5 barrel will work? A re barrel may be cost prohibited, but I'm just getting ideas now. I wouldn't mind having a groundhog gun, would something along the lines of .22-250 work? I heard of a guy around with a jap of that caliber. Any other cartridge suggestions welcome.

Indian Creek 1

(6/12/05 11:25)

Reply Re: Arisaka Sporterizing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 40 years I had Ralph rebarrel one to 270 Win. for me. It was a real shooter but, that safety was really terrible. I got rid of that one and never had the urge for another one.

A.J.

lmc1016

(6/15/05 0:24)

i would rebarrel with a 6.5x50 and ream it to 6.5x55.

silent souls leave .308 holes.

riceone

(6/15/05 5:40)

6.5x50 barrels will not screw in T99 actions. One is metric and the other standard threads. Since Grafs sells 7.7 cases at reasonable prices, (100 for $29), you can put an original barrel back in the action and reload for the 7.7. I sure that some barrel makers have barresl for the T99 in regular calibers. Be advised that you are spending money on making something that will have practally no resale value but if that is what you want then go to it. I have a T38 re-barreled to 257 Roberts. Nice rifle and I'm pleased with it and that all that matters. I sort of like the knob safety, works fine for me under a scope. I use my thumb and first two fingers to put it on and just roll it off with my thumb. I am very fond of Japanese actions and they are practically in destructiable. riceone.

Indian Creek 1

(6/15/05 7:55)

riceone is right about them being practically indestructible but the safety as I have said is not very handy,and they are lacking in the looks department but I did take a few deer and also a few hogs with mine before I got rid of it , both in 7.7 cal. and after rebarreling to 270.

A.J.

claytonfaulkner

(6/15/05 12:56)

i think ershaw makes barrels for them

bilurey1

(6/26/05 19:03)

The Type 38 and 99 actions are very simple and among the strongest of all actions ever designed. Post war "blow up" tests by P.O. Ackley and Douglas Barrel Co./H.P. White Labs confirmed this.

However, the machining in all but pre war M38s is pretty crude and when combined with it's less than sleek looks and costs of conversion, it's not often selected for that purpose. If you have to find a decent 6.5 Jap barrel and have it installed, you're going to exceed the cost of a completely serviceable, abd complete, milsurp.

Sell the action, put the money towards a decent German, Czech, Austrian, Swede, or FN milsurp Mauser with a serviceable barrel in 6.5, 7, or 8mm and go with it, as is. No alterations necessary if "meat" hunting. Military sights are often a better choice than some of the more expensive custom sights which generally are pre set for only one distance. Inexpensive replacment parts are readily available as is plinking or hunting ammo.

Fifty years ago I bought a completely sporterized 6.5 Jap for $50 and got into handloading so I could afford to shoot it. Saw that rifle at a gunshow two years ago for $150, looking just as it did the day I first bought it. Brought back a lot of memeories, but, I didn't buy it back. Too many Mausers laying about for the same price. Bill

AzRednek

(6/26/05 21:03)

I knew a now deceased part-time gunsmith, a semi-retired machinist that built a beautiful Arisaka. He built it to show off his skills. It was rather unique. Mannlicher type stock, butter knifed bolt handle and adjustable target peep sights. I can’t remember if it was 6.5 or 7.7 he left it in the original caliber but he turned and shortened the original barrel down to a sporter configuration. He chromed the bolt assembly, black chromed the extractor and did a high polish blue of the entire rifle. Don’t know if he ever shot it but it was a beautiful show piece.

I suspect he chose the Arisaka because of the challenge and the desire to have something unique to show off his skills. Although he claimed he was a machinist by trade, he went to work as a machinist for the old Sperry Rand corp. and wound up in management, originally supervising the machine shop, then crawled up the corporate ladder. After he retired rather comfortably with a fat pension and investments in the company’s profit sharing and stock, he had to tinker and took up gun smithing. Unfortunately he passed away with cancer, he donated all his tools, blueing tanks and gun parts to a gun smithing school in Prescott Az before his demise.

riceone

(6/28/05 20:43)

Here are some Arisaka's that go back to the 70's that I have done. I'm not a gunsmith, just a hobbyist. Most any sporterizing will cost more that you can sell the gun for, but its the challenge and fun I like. Its what ever turns your knob. riceone.

user posted image

bilurey1

(6/28/05 22:24)

Nice workmanship, and good eye for line. Are any of these converted to 6.5/257 Savage? A fairly simple conversion which gained widespread use after WW11 when Jap ammo was impossible to find. I had a Lyman 310 tool/die set for this caliber years ago. The 6.5 Jap is a good cartridge as is, with heavier bullet weights. Accurate with minimal recoil and muzzle blast. The Brits and the Russians each bought several thousands of these when the design was new. The first Russian submachine gun was designed around this cartridge. However, adding a barrel to any action is expensive, and might be wise to pick one which won't drive you crazy trying to find the components. Bill

Doble Troble

(6/29/05 7:12)

Re: Arisaka Sporterizing

Nice Arisakas, riceone.

The Mannlichers are particularly interesting. Can you post a close-up of how you handle the muzzle end of the Mannlicher stocks? Do you add metal at the end?

I am Bubba (but learning)

riceone

(6/29/05 19:54)

The top rifle is a T2 with an o3A3 barrel with a 308 insert. Second is a 6.5 barrel chambered to 6.5x57, third is 7.7 fourth is T38 rebarreled to 257R and bottom is still in 7.7.

user posted image

I came to admire mannlichers from the bottom rifle in this picture - it an 98 Mauser still in 8x57 that I had done in Germany in 1955. I do not like steel nose caps so I just inletted the barrels close and on one I glass bedded to the end. The other two are just action and maybe 2" barrel. But the barrels on the mannlichers are just 20" except the bottom (in the picture of five) and its 16 1/4" riceone.

riceone

(6/29/05 20:13)

Since it is controversy how strong Japanese actions are take a look at this site and see what it takes to destroy a T99. riceone.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108768

Clemsongunsmith

(6/30/05 6:43)

riceone: You guys just ain't right!

That was a very cool test. I suspect that a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 would have fared considerably worse.

Keep up the good work, but keep it up a couple of miles or more from my house.

Clemson

US Army Veteran

NRA Life Member

NRA Certified Instructor

CWP Holder

Garand Collectors'Association