Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Garand build

Sailormilan2

Rounds Down Range
Post Thanks / Like collapse_40b.png

Re: Starting a new build.

I decided that I needed a .308 Garand. I had built one before, but my youngest claimed it as his after shooting it.
Not quite finished, as all the internals seem to be stuck in a post office in Illinois. Parts have traveled 60 miles in 10 days.

I've had the stock and handguards for a few years. I just couldn't justify putting them on a WW2 gun.

So, I found a late war receiver with a barrel in fair, not good, shape. Got a Criterion .308 barrel. It's headspaced to a -12 bolt, and a NM front sight. All upper parts are refinished as black as I could get.

I have a Boyd's stock that I can also use. It required some wood removal and staining of sap wood. Currently waiting for a rear handguard to arrive

20201104_070212.jpg

On 11/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, Sailormilan2 said:
Rounds Down Range
Post Thanks / Like collapse_40b.png

Re: Starting a new build.. Parts have traveled 60 miles in 10  days.

Nearly every if not all Post Offices are backed up with the ballot fiasco and tons of political vote for me mail. 7-14 days isn’t unusual and the norm for 3rd or 4th class mail during busy times like Christmas, Mother’s Day, back to school advertisements or prior to a major election. My guess the parts vendor opted for 3rd class mail to save two-bits on postage.