Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Heat sink ideas

Horsefly

The important thing is to not let the lugs get hot.  Now, how hot is hot?  If you're using a MIG welder or a TIG, then just wrapping the bolt in a soaked wet rag would probably be quite sufficient.  If you're using a gas torch and bending the bolt, then more heat sinking would be in order. Even at that, as long as the lugs stay below whatever temp threshold the 'get soft' point is, in the hundreds F, then you should be OK. So, pack the body with the paste (seems to be something like water and clay to me), wrap everything else in really wet rags, get after it.  Maybe have a helper pour water on it half way through it you're taking too long, or just stop, wet it down and start again.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I had a local welder do a few bolt handles for me.  (Not a gunsmith)  I had a store bought threaded aluminum heat sink, but he didn't like it so he turned one out of solid copper bar on his lathe.  Unthreaded, but apparently he oriented it to stay in by gravity.  Seemed to fit nice, and he let me keep it.

Morale of the story, it doesn't need to be too fancy.

And I will echo the offer to send you one or both of mine to use...