Military Firearm Restoration Corner

dropped style magazine

ken98k

Can you narrow it down a bit? What type of rifle are you thinking of? Odds are you can find what you are looking for from either Richards Microfit or Boyd's. They both make normal stocks, but both in the past have been more than happy to leave wood in place for you to do your own custom inletting if you already have the hardware.

If you're talking about a mauser 98 (or many large ring varients), and need the hardware, Numrich sells a 3-round drop magazine that fits right into the bottom in place of the floorplate, and that setup will work without modification to any aftermarket stock.

mimic

What I have heard of people doing with drop style mags in the past is to first buy a throw away stock as a pattern stock and then use Bondo to build up the areas you want filled in and shape the stock however you want it. Then, you send this stock off to a stock turner who translates this customized pattern into a custom stock for you.

I don't know of any stock turners right off hand and I don't know how much this costs - other than I believe its rather expensive. However, most of the custom rifles I've seen with drop style magazine were chambered for a large magnum of some kind or another and the cost of getting such a stock duplicated is often minor compared to the overall cost of building such a rifle.

On the other hand, if you're referring to the detachable magazines, mimic covered it.

If I may ask, whatcha working on? Using a drop style mag sounds like an interesting project.

Good luck with it!

Jason

All right, I thought I was slowly getting smarter, but I guess I'm not.

What is a "drop type magazine"?

.... I am currentlly inletting the triggerguard on project #2. The other night I turned the stock over to tap the triggerguard out, and it bounced off the workbench and onto the floor.

Is that what I now have? laugh.gif

What I mean by dropped magazine is when the bottom metal is cut just ahead of the trigger guard, the mag is then "dropped" about 1/2" then rewelded.

It makes a very nice looking (imho) custom rifle with increased capacity.

check out the link

http://www.customgun.com/Picture_515.jpg

Great American Gunstocks Can cut you a dropbox pattern. They charge an extra $50 for that. Here's one I had done a few years ago.

user posted image

user posted image

One thing though with this company, you need to inspect the blank when you receive it and if you don't like anything about it. RETURN IT. I used this company 4 times and 3 of the stocks were perfect. This one wasn't and I tried to fix it. Looking back, it should have been sent back and had it replaced.

Another option is what Z1R suggested. Add the drop to a pattern and have it re-duplicated. I'm redoing this rifle and this is the route I'm taking this time. You can personalize the pattern anyway you want. it's a lot harder, but more rewarding

user posted image

Terry

I like that! It looks "phat"... cool.gif

I have seen this before on custom safari type rifles and never really gave it a thought as to how it was accomplished. I guess with the big cartridges it is needed to bring the magazine capacity up. Practical to be sure, but I like the look too. Makes the rifle look more beefy and tough in my opinion.

Terry, where did you get the checkered bolt handle from? I like it, as well as the wood.

I've been looking around for the info on the checkered bolt knob and can't find it. I do remember the girl charged me $150 for the work but I can't find her contact info. Brownells sells one that's already checkered for around $125 but it just has the 4 tear drop panels and an open bottom.

The red you see is just a pattern. After I bondo and shape I use a red primer over it all. It helps me see the low spots, ripples and imperfections.

Terry

Thanks for the info guys.

The rifle I have in mind will be a 375 Taylor. (375-338)

I'm just in the planning stage now (read that day dreaming) and trying to get all the components together.

My main problem so far has been finding a banner reciever.