Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Rear trigger guard action screw spacer

Horsefly

2 hours ago, Downwindtracker2 said:

You know beer cans are so thin it would take a few to get to the 10 thou, at which stage counting may not be too accurate. chuckle.

I've used them to shim under a scope. Under the front to raise or under the rear to lower. My goal is to make as little elevation adjustments when mounting a new scope. 

Speaking about mounting and shimming scopes, it can be a bit of challenge on these surplus rifles. Both in drilling and tapping the holes and getting the mounts on the same plane. I like starting with a sporter , that way half the work is done. In the vise right now is a M96/38 sporter that I'm fitting to a HVA 1600 stock, so I get to look at it a lot. . Under the front Weaver mount is rather thick shim, 1/16" or more, and both mounts show signs of a file.

Burris makes rings with plastic inserts that gimbal , Burris Signature Z rings. They mount on Weaver bases.  These save the hassle of shimming or lapping the rings, they clamp securely and they can be had in different thicknesses to compensate for misalignment. The down side is that they come in medium height only. No problem for me, I use the top half of my bifocals.