Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Glued an Action

As I get older I find I screw up more often. I was working on three stocks and actions. A couple of used gunshow finds and a surplus Remington M798 laminate. I'm pushing ahead with projects that had languished for a number of years. All you have to do is look at last post before this run, to get an idea of the number of years .After we retired, we did a lot of travelling. 

That's the background.  I had glass bedded the Zastava Mauser into the laminate. and knocked it out with out any drama. The next on the list was the Turk Mauser into one of the gunshow stocks, a large ring ,home made Weatherby like.  This one was done in two stages. bottom metal first then the action. When I grabbed the barreled action yesterday, I grabbed the Zastava, A large ring 98. This morning somethin looked a little odd. The Turk had a octagon section to the barrel. A desperation thump with a deadblow, nothing happened. I had roughly sprayed the action with solvent, cleaning it somewhat .Then I became scared. With a couple more serious thumps , the stock broke at the wrist. Then few more and it came free. 

I use G-2 epoxy, mini fibers and brown pigment for bedding compound. For release Crown brand Ready Release.  Lecithin Mold Release. I guess there was still enough residue left on the action. I now swear by it.  The barrel had a double layer of painters' tape.    

The loss of the home made stock didn't concern me. He had made it in three sections, a 1/2" down the center. It was dry crumbly wood. I couldn't chisel, I had to grind it when I fitted it. I have walnut leaning in the corner, I just got to learn how to inlet. 

This getting old and stupid sure adds work. 

You had a release agent on it?  Like with molding car parts, you have to look so that nothing will "lock" it into place.  Fill any rust pits with clay, etc.

I had my big 30-06 Turk pillar bedded by a rather high end gunsmith, now dead, in Texas City.  He had trouble with it and broke part of the stock in taking it out during the bedding process.  He repaired it and I can't find whatever he broke.

You should be able to repair it. Use several ring shank finishing nails on each side of the break. Drill them in and secure with bedding compound. Be careful and line up each side. The nails help to keep the sides alined. Sand inside the barrel chanel (this way you can't see it) use the sawdust to mix with bedding compound. Coat each side of the break and secure. When bedding a stock I use packing tape, kind with string in it.

Hopefully I explained it clear enough. Good luck you got this. 

Truthfully, the stock isn't worth the bother.  I think it broke far too easily. It's in the scrap wood pile already. I had picked it up as a Mauser stock at a gunshow. Knowing me, for very little money.  A low asking price can be negotiated even lower. chuckle. It was just a quick way to play with an 8x57 after I get my eye surgery.

I have heard guys saying kiln dried wood had no life to it. I thought they were crazy.  That phrase came to mind after working with the stock. It could explain the easy breaking, too. The guy who had worked on it had done some impressive, but ugly work. It could be the style at the time. Also the good price. Good craftsman, poor designer. 

So far(knock on wood) I haven’t locked an action in a stock yet. It’s always such a great feeling to bump a barrel several times with palm of hand and the 2 separate. I was schooled on this site years ago to wrap area to be bedded with Scotch tape. Then masking tape covered with Johnson’s floor wax paste. I discovered this week the green Frog masking tape is even better than regular masking tape because it soaks up the wax. It was all I had and worked out good. I found some Accra Glass in junk drawer that’s at least 20 years old and was kinda Leary about it still being good. Pulled action and stock apart Thursday and it’s harder than woodpecker lips. 

I climbed up and checked the top shelf. I know it's Easter, but it felt like Christmas, I found a semi-inlet Mauser stock up there. As I get old, I'm finding surprises and other times not finding what I know I should have.  This one looks like a Boyds second. The for end and the grip cap are mismatched wood. An easy fix, I have some cocobolo. So it looks like the Turk may get some wood, and I get to play with an 8x57.

I like that tip about waxing the painters tape on the edge. I've had struggles with the overfill bonding to the tape and being hard to remove. THX.

• 3 weeks later...

Doc best getting on and finishing up the projects. I put off so many I’ll never finish what I started but I just can’t bring myself to start selling them off. I have unfinished 257 Bob, two 1917 Enfields and an in the white Santa Barbra M98 mag action and stock. I have one more round of Chemo to go, 4-5 weeks recovery and if I don’t lose my ability to stand and walk maybe I’ll get something finished before I force myself to start selling things off. 

Past couple weeks I finished a few of my 50+ year old Coleman Lantern projects that have been sitting and waiting for over 20 years. I got a bug up my arse after a 6 hour power outage in he dark. I have a 1930’s Aladdin kerosene lamp I had ready for a power outage. I discovered in the dark while trying to light it the mantle disintegrated. I managed later to fire up a Coleman back packing lantern but ran out of fuel in less than an hour. I know it’s silly but I get a kick out of firing up the old gas pressure lanterns. I fired up an early 60’s lantern, set it on my carport for a two hour test run. About 30 minutes later I emptied a fire extinguisher on it. The fuel tank had a hole rust through from inside out. The pressure pushed fuel out all over the carport and eventually flared up. I’ve fired up three since, another 60’s lantern leaked from a rust hole but a late 40’s and early 60’s with brass tanks lit up like brand new. I had a couple of 30’s table pressure lamps I restored years ago but it appears my X took them on her way out. Pisses me off as I paid over 50 bucks each for glass heat resistant lampshades. Guess it’s just like missing tools, don’t notice it missing until I want to use it. 

My next goal health permitting is getting my reloading gear back in order and in use. My grandson has expressed interest in using it. Kind of silly shelling out $35+ for a box of 9MM or 38 Special even worse passing on 45 Colt, 44 Mag and Special at $2.50 or more per pop.  I have all the components to roll my own. I began hoarding components back during the Obozo shortages. I’m a bit light on fast pistol powder like Bullseye and Unique so I’ll have to wait in line to be gouged. Thinking about inflation. Bought my first pound of powder in 71 for $2.99. Be lucky today to find it for $40.00 or more. 

I hope your treatment goes well AzRednek.

I have played around with old Coleman lanterns and stoves too.  In years gone by, I could go into small town hardware stores and they would have a drawer full of Coleman parts Not any more. .I restuffed a lantern generator, once even. Lanterns are tricky. Stove generators only required cleaning.    Now white gas is over $20 a gallon ! The old side stove on the travel trailer is a 1974 Canadian Coleman propane that I bought new.  It's like a Canadian Tourist model, running on propane. The Canadian Coleman stoves were slightly smaller than their American counter parts.  Those Band of Blue burners can simmer so low as to barely keep the pot of coffee warm and yet boil water  quicker than any current stove.

Yeah, hope you're doing OK, Az.

We spent a week in the dark back in '08 during the ice storm.  A pump lantern would have been handy, providing heat and light.  We got by with kerosene lamps (AKA "Hurricane Lamps" in the south) and flash lights.  The little used-to-be-free HF LED flash lights set on end and pointing to the ceiling make a great little light for bathrooms, good for reading by, etc.  Batteries will last days in them if they are left on.  For cooking, we used a propane burner that screws on a small propane cylinder.  That's our camping stove when touring on the bikes.  It cooks just like a regular gas stove.

Now, I have a 8KW generator and a whole house switch.  Picked up a coleman pump up gas stove as an additional backup.

My skills as a secretary are sorely lacking, I wrote old instead of out.  Talk about stupid.   I try to cook outside as much as possible with a little BBQ and the camp stove. One of the secrets of camping is to offer to do much of the cooking. The wife is always willing to go camping and It's good practice for hunting trips.

I'm working on that Boyd's M98 stock now.  I have a Sako Finnbear to copy some design inspirations from.  

Guess I’m fortunate to have natural gas for cooking during power outages. My house was built about 64 and has the old overhead wires. Power outages are getting more common due to age but generally lights are back on in 1-2 hours. I had a good generator but loaned it to my son and chances of it being returned in working order is slim. My son inherited a cabin and a few acres in an area up in northern Arizona not yet electrified. It belonged to my X’s uncle. I spent a week there in 71 and it had a WW2 surplus generator that was more trouble than what it was worth to fire up. My X demanded TV and radio but I think she was just afraid of the dark.

I have a power pole in my back yard. About 20 years ago the transformer on the pole just blew up. The only thing I lost was an old caller ID unit. Some nearby neighbors weren’t so lucky. Everything from TV’s to microwaves were fried by the power surge. I was on the way out the door headed to work and it was replaced by the time I got home. During the CB radio fad in the 70’s somebody shot the transformer in my yard. It was causing interference on the CB’s, FM radios and broadcast TV. The power co would fix it but within a few days the static was back again. Pretty sure I knew who shot it but kept my mouth shut. One of the power co’s investigators claimed to be former FBI and was an arrogant jerk off. 

ive bragged here before about the thousands and I’m not exaggerating of bucks I made during the Y2K frenzy. People fearing long term power outages. Coleman stoves and lanterns were literally flying off store shelves. M X and I worked flea markets and yard sales buying up nearly everything Coleman. I would fire up the lanterns and stoves, take a photo then put it on EBay. I also discovered there are many hard core Coleman collectors and I often made hundreds on certain lanterns. My best was about $800 on what collectors named Gold Bond. The particular gold colored lanterns and stoves could only be obtained with Gold Bond stamps. Most of the collectibles went to Japanese collectors with deep pockets. I also hooked up with a Jap merchant that would buy anything other than the usual green and red lanterns. He would resell them on Yahoo Japan. He also bought old USA fishing gear. He paid me $100 for any Sears Ted Williams steel fishing poles.

After the Y2K frenzy with only one small area somewhere in the south having shut down electricity due to Y2K computer problems the prices crashed. I was averaging about 150 for the old single burner red lanterns the Japs were buying up to doing good if I got 25. I wound up giving away nearly 50 lanterns to a California authorized Coleman warranty and repair facility. I cherry picked about a dozen lanterns, a couple of the older three burner stoves and a few heaters. Coleman wised up and quit selling many parts for the older models. Can’t blame them as Coleman wanted to sell new merchandise. Coleman also began doing special limited runs of collectibles only marketed in Japan. 

Now that it’s no longer work I enjoy tinkering with the old Coleman pressure stoves and lanterns. Hearing some horror stories about the old heaters I shy away from them. During the Y2K frenzy I collected a $50 reward for a recalled Bernzomatic propane heater. I never got the details but I assume there were likely some deaths and lawsuits from not being Darwin proofed. 

Good Day, I hope this finds you well.

When we moved into our house, it was on the edge of town. In the past 30 years the town has grown past us.  Being on a rural circuit, every time the wind blew ,we would lose power with trees on those country roads taking out lines. We live in the Fraser river valley, about 40 miles from the ocean. Sometimes during winter a high cold pressure ridge will build inland with it's high cold winds blowing down the valley to the ocean. They are called outflows. That first winter we had a week of no power and bitterly cold winds. My wife was very miserable . That summer we installed  a new natural gas  fireplace up stairs and a heater/fireplace downstairs. $$$. That fall BC Hydro put us on an underground urban circuit. Since then out outages have been just a few hours at worst.chuckle

In my hunting camp gear , I used a three burner Coleman white gas stove and a double mantle white gas lantern. Pretty high class. It went with a 12x14  wall tent and wood stove. A gallon can of white gas is easier packing than a twenty pound tank (40#) of propane. I got too old to break camp by myself, it has to be done in one morning, so now I have a camper.

The wood in that M98 semi-inlet is working poorly. It's a very light and soft walnut. The carving chisels have to be super sharp. I'm finding I appreciate good dense walnut over showy.