Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Heavy Barrelled Enfield

303 Epps

That's a nice looking enfield there. I have a quesiton for you. What attracted you to 30/40 Krag? I've never dealt with the caliber, so I don't know why people like it. I have my pet calibers depending on what I'm doing, heck everybody does. Is it stopping power, accuracy, recoil? I know that historically it was replaced by the .30-03/.30-06, but other than that I don't know much about it. I reload all my rounds, but how about for those that don't. Can you get factory 30/40 Krag loads these days?

mimic

The Krag is a rimmed cartridge in the same class as the 303, but takes a 308 bullet. Its a bit more than the 30-30 and a bit less than the -06. If you're shooting an original Krag/Enfield in this case you're limited by the strength of the action. Its certainly good for hunting and target shooting within 200 yds. You're looking at 150 grain bullet at 2500 - 2600 fps. It along with its cousin the 303 are fine rimmed cartridges, especially well suited for single shot actions. I don't know about ammo availability today, but you could get them at the local hardware store 30 yrs ago. But now its hard to find a local hardware store.

It looks like Remington and Winchester still manufacture ammo.

This is a project rifle I've been working on.

Heavy Barrelled Enfield in 30/40 Krag

7654[/snapback]

I picked 30/40 Krag because it shared reloading components with 308win and 3006. Also I did not have to alter the Enfield action. The barrel is 28" in a medium Palma contour. I'm stocking up on cases and loaded ammo now.

As far as accuracy goes, well see how the bedding job comes along. The rifle should be as good as my heavy barrel 3006.

I had a few people tell me I was nuts when I started this project. tongue.gif I did it anyways because I like old rifles and I like old cartridges. I've killed deer with a 30/30 so there no reason that this rifle can't do the same and more. My gunsmith said he hasn't worked on a Enfield as far as rebarreling in 20yrs. I think its a shame to let classics die if they can still do the job.

Plus side to having a longer barrel is I get more velocity with same loads.