Military Firearm Restoration Corner

It Didn't Go Bang

On 6/9/2021 at 1:17 AM, AzRednek said:

I wonder how close it is to the 257 Roberts and the numerous improved versions. 

I had to re-read the article in Handloader magazine again. The parent cartridge for both is 7x57 Mauser. The 6.5 has a little more velocity with a 120gr. bullet in each. You get more variety with the 6.5 The BC and sectional density is also better. The 6.5 Creedmoor beats the 6.5x57. Ammo and reloading components are easier to get also. I'd buy (and have) the Creedmoor.

If my old memory works, that's not a given, the 6.5x57 would use a 8x57 headspace guage, not a 7x57.  I was going to build my 6.5x57 on a commercial Zastava Mauser. The one that ended up 6.5x55

Velocity depends on who is loading. At a F-class meet a ten years back or more, I was in the butts with old timer, he was telling me the velocities he was getting with a surplus action 6.5x55, they were up there with my 264WM. They out did my 6.5-06 .I have a thing for 6.5s . I guess they were safe enough, otherwise he wouldn't be there to tell me about them.

8 minutes ago, Downwindtracker2 said:

If my old memory works, that's not a given, the 6.5x57 would use a 8x57 headspace guage, not a 7x57.  I was going to build my 6.5x57 on a commercial Zastava Mauser. The one that ended up 6.5x55

Velocity depends on who is loading. At a F-class meet a ten years back or more, I was in the butts with old timer, he was telling me the velocities he was getting with a surplus action 6.5x55, they were up there with my 264WM. They out did my 6.5-06 .I have a thing for 6.5s . I guess they were safe enough, otherwise he wouldn't be there to tell me about them.

What is the actual caliber of 6.5 in inches?? I always assumed it was the same as he 25/06, 257 Bob and Weatherby. I’m just a high school graduate, class of 68. Graduating before he metric system was taught.

The Newton 256 is a 6.5 as is the 264WM. One is bore, the other bullet.  You are a year younger than me., youngster. But in the '70 Canada went metric, sorta. We end up using both. I found on machines, it was often easier to use the system it was designed in.  Bolt spacing would have some odd number until you used metric, then it would be simple, like 70mm. 25.4mm is an inch.  Engineers tend to  like round numbers.

Bearings and the shafts are almost always metric. I have 14" Beaver brand bandsaw, made in the nearest I could fiquire, 1947, right after the war. It takes a very standard off the shelf metric bearings. Beaver woodworking tools are common in Canada.Callender Foundry was taken over by Delta in '52. Delta was still using Beaver brand into the late '80.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:22 PM, Downwindtracker2 said:

The Newton 256 is a 6.5 as is the 264WM. One is bore, the other bullet. 

I have a 6.5x53R Dutch Mannlicher which was also called a .256 Mannlicher