Military Firearm Restoration Corner

MarkX done now

swamp_thing

I finished the Mark X in 6.5x55 last night and now only need so sight in and test how it shoots. This is a barreled action that I got from my brother and the stock is a modern classic. Many thanks to my brother on this one. The rifle has a hinged floor plate, adjustable trigger with safety and is in beautiful condition. Hope you enjoy this one guys. swamp_thing

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

That is a fine looking rifle, Swamp Thing.

What finish did you use?

What is your assessment of the Modern Classic stock (I assume from Richards...)? How close was the inletting? Any particular problems or challenges in dealing with this stock?

Clemson

Clemson, I have used several of richard's stocks and have never really had much problem with their inletting. That is not to say that it has always been perfect though. I have encountered small gaps at times like on the corners of the magazine wells. A bit of well blended glass bed though and they are not noticable. I do not get the 99% inletted, but rather the one's I think they say are like 95%. Drop in type fits are always going to not fit somewhere. As for the modern classic I do like the fit of the stock and the lines. This particular stock was a factory second, bought some time ago for $40.00 (actually 13.00 more for left hand cut). I had previously had a different rifle in it and when I decided to use it here I cut much more wood off the fore end and wrist area and reshaped it a bunch. Then I completely refinished it. I use only Formby's tung oil finish on my stocks. This is the gloss finish, with the first several coats sanded into the stock. Then there are about 4 layers that were applied after the pores were filled with very light sanding in between. As far as Richards stocks I will ad one more thing. I did get a mosin nagant stock from them once, also posted on this site, that was slightly crooked on the magazine inletting. I was able to straighten it out and when I contacted Richards they offered to either replace it, take it back, or give me 50% of my money back. I took the partial refund and was thoroughly pleased with their service. In light of some other suppliers poor cust service this was a pleasing experience.

Thanks to both of you on the nice comments. swamp_thing

I'll second that! Just glancing at your pics first, I was guessing polyurethane as well. I've never seen tung oil that glossy. Lota love in that stock, I'll say that much. Wow.

mimic

cool.gif Looked so nice I had to put on my sunglasses! When I said it was a cattle prod

in another life I had no idea how nice those cattle must have been. tongue.gif You really did that one up nice, very nice. Lets see what is next on your list? Tinman

Ps. Hope your tongue is better after all the work on that stock, you did say tongue oil didn't you?