Military Firearm Restoration Corner

It's On.

The rifle is my Swedish sporter. Tradex imports used rifles from Sweden. Sweden limits the number of firearms a person can have, so used rifles have little value. This one is a 1944 Husqvarna made M96/38. It was the last year of any production of the model 1896. They started modifying them in 1938. HVA made a run of them during the Second World War. That's where this one comes from. The stock proved beyond all doubt that Swedes can be as tasteless with the worst of them. I fitted a HVA #1600 stock on it. The #1600 stock is a fine a hunting rifle stock as any factory rifle ever had. The # 1600 is a small ring Mauser actin, so it wasn't too difficult a fit.

It came with a mounted scope and a side  safety. The scope was a Weaver  K4 60B ,late '60s, and with Weaver mounts. He had Weaver high rings. and very high check piece added on to the military stock. But he had botched the mounting. There was a .080" shim under the front mount. I dropped it down to a .046" front shim.  I use Burris Signature Zee rings., the ones with the plastic inserts. They can be had in different thicknesses. If you turn them sideways , you can adjust windage.  I used  a +/- .020" on the front and another +/-  .020" on the back for .040 of twist.  .020 is the biggest they make.

But it's under a 1/2"  from the center at 25 meters. When I can see better, I can do load development at 100 meters.

To complete, the stock needs the checkering to be pointed and I need to make a hinged floorplate.