Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gewehr 88: sell, shoot or sporterize?

Hi everyone. Today at an auction I picked up a Spandau 1890 Gewehr 88 in pretty good shape. It’s complete, has matching receiver/barrel numbers, has been “Turked” and has the S stamp. It has the cutout on the receiver for the longer cartridge and the clip over the bottom of the magazine. 

I’m not a collector. I bought it because it sold cheap and I appreciate the history, and I’m a sucker for old project rifles. Left to my own devices I would probably tear it down, polish it up and make it a hunting rifle, but I may see if any collectors would pay for it as is, or part it out. 

What would you do?

On 5/22/2021 at 8:30 PM, Dr.Hess said:

If it's in good shape and not butchered, you can probably get $300 easy, maybe $350 on gunboards.com's for sale forum. Antiques command a premium, and the 88's have a following, even Turks.

Then again... If ya go ahead and cut it up... all the other ones can increase in value as supply just went Down...

Just thinkin out loud..

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a Turk converted 88 I bought in the 70’s for 30 or 35 bucks. I got it with an old Turk marked bayonet an an incorrect US canvas sling. It’s accuracy is mediocre. I won’t shoot modern or mil-surp ammo in it. I’ve shot plenty of mild hand loaded 8 MM. One of my older loading manuals had data specifically for the Gew 88’s. Unfortunately I lost that manual and others in a 1988 house fire. Guess I just get some licks out of shooting rifles over 100 years old like 1891 Argies or my 09 dated 03 Springfield. I’d give up my 88 for a decent trade offer but I have no desire to sell it.

I suggest you hang on to it, shoot it if you like with mild ammo. From what I read in a gun rag years ago and may no longer be true. USA manufactured Remington, Winchester, Federal and to date myself Herters brand 8 MM is/was safe at about 40,000 PSI. MIl-surp and most European ammo was closer to 50,000 and not safe in the 88’s. 

When I became a gun hobbyist in the early 70’s. I saw some really nice sporters built on Gew 88 and Mannlicher actions. Most I saw sparked an interest in my mind but the majority I saw were chambered in oddball calibers. I wasn’t involved with hand loading ammo until several years later. Keep in mind that 50 years ago there were likely good sources of parts and accessories available you won’t find today. What brought my attention to most mil-surp sporters then were the fancy iron sights. In the early 70’s there wasn’t any 29.99 scopes.

I don’t like telling anybody what to do with their own property but seeing that you asked. If you don’t want to hang on to as an investment and if you do decide to sell or trade it. There’s likely a young collector starting out that won’t butcher it, keep it original and appreciate having it in his collection. 

Just curious if anybody knows. Seeing that the 88 was most likely manufactured prior to 1898 but likely Turked after. I wonder if ATF considers it pre or post 98?? If it can be shipped without utilizing a FFL and the paperwork pain in the donkey. One might get some decent trade offers or a good cash price on one of the collector’s forums. 

On 6/4/2021 at 4:07 PM, AzRednek said:

There’s likely a young collector starting out that won’t butcher it, keep it original and appreciate having it in his collection. 

Just curious if anybody knows. Seeing that the 88 was most likely manufactured prior to 1898 but likely Turked after. I wonder if ATF considers it pre or post 98?? If it can be shipped without utilizing a FFL and the paperwork pain in the donkey. One might get some decent trade offers or a good cash price on one of the collector’s forums. 

I did as you suggested and found a collector who wanted the 88, so I sold it (and bought myself a Carcano project gun, but that’s a whole other story). 

When I bought the 88 at auction, no FFL or background check was required because it was considered a pre-1898 antique. It probably helped that 1890 was stamped prominently on the barrel shroud. When I mailed it to the buyer, I sent it directly to him without paperwork, C&R or FFL for the same reason.