Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Maybe I need to retire

FC

I'm finding it hard to keep working at VA. I could retire with a small pension next June, but I don't know, maybe I need to retire now? We're just plain inundated with woke/ anti-white male crap. Now there's a mandate to get the covid shots or you will lose your job. I have the two shots, but I don't want a booster. I don't like the government telling us what to do. I had a falling out with a black Muslim man in my rehab course. He threatened my job because I told him he was very late (long line to get in), and he only had 30 minutes before we had to be out of the room. He'd been sitting there ten minutes (40 minutes post-show time), and I pushed him to get onto an exercise machine. He was yelling, told me I worked for him, not the other way around, and he was going to have my job. I yelled back that I'm retiring, and he can go ahead and take my job. He yelled this was a waste of his time, and I said, "Fine, I'm removing you from the program." He is crying abuse, disrespect, etc. I acknowledged of my own free will my fault, but he crossed the line. It was a shock because we had been getting along just fine. Now, if he comes back, I'll be under his subjective judgement on whether I'm condescending, retaliatory, or treating him different. That's a setup for a fall right there. I said I don't want him back, since he hasn't eased up whatsoever in his attitude. I want to put him into the follow-on exercise program, which my boss thought was fine, but I got pushback from a black female doctor (a decent person), that I need to take him, or it could be viewed as retaliatory. I said that I may just resign. She said not to do it because of one person, but too much is changing in our world, and in VA, and I just want off this train.

I dunno, Tony.  June. What, 10 months?  I think that I would just suck it up and sort of play passive-aggressive a bunch.  Show up for work, do your job.  Don't go out of your way.  Don't get worked up over one a-hole patient. 

We had a kid once on pedi-SX service.  He got chewed up by Rottweilers, I think.  Maybe Dobermans.  Real bad.  We busted our asses saving that kid.  Many late nights with him in pedi-ICU, etc.  Got him healed up and not looking too bad.  Sent him home, come back in X days to get staples out.  Came in to the clinic.  We took out the staples.  The grandfather, who had custody, wrote a letter on us for not knocking the kid out before we took the staples out.  Total BS.  Just blow it off.

Unbelievable!

This guy is looking to cause trouble. I hope the docs take the recommendation to send him out of hospital to rehab. We just keep getting hit with the "woke" (stupid term) all the time (Pride, transgender surgery and programs, minority programs, microaggressions, must use the name and pronouns patients want, women's equality). VA is forcing vaccinations on the employees. I have mine, but I don't intend to take the booster. I'm just tired of it all, and I'm getting a short-timer's impatience. 

I'd like to have the house up for sale early next year, while prices are good, but working and driving a long way to work doesn't allow much to get done, except on weekends. I need to paint the walls and ceilings of the master bedroom and bathroom, replace the botched hardwood flooring job done in the kitchen, and replace the rest of the deck. I also have a surrey to restore, and antiques to restore: About 7 dressers, a corner cupboard, a pie safe, a couple of hutches, a kitchen table, a couple of beds, and a buffet or two. Add to that, I'm building some kitchen cabinetry. I could do it after retirement, but would be nice to get them done here. 

On fixing up a place prior to selling, I think it goes both ways.  You can say a place is worth 100, and needs 10 worth of repairs and sell it for 90.  That 10 worth of repairs won't get you more than 10 back in the sales price.  And, most of the time the new buyers will want something different than you just fixed anyway.  You know the Y-chromosomal deficient and colors.  It won't be the "right" shade of "off white."  If this is the peak time to sell, then knock off a reasonable amount for whatever it needs and list it.

As for you a-hole patient, just turn it over to the doctors and don't worry about it.  Smile and be passive-aggressive and document the heck out of every encounter.  Put it in his chart: patient was combative and refused to do the treadmill, whatever.

We fixed up this place pretty well compared to when we bought it. I’ve got half the deck done, but it’s pretty humid in August. I wish I had a shop in TX ready to move into, the dump Craftsman house next door will likely go to tax sale next year. It’s got a couple other liens on it though. 

Not sure how the lien v. tax sale thing works.  The tax thing might trump the others.  Need a lawyer on that.

For a shed, I want a 20' shipping container.  They were selling for under 3K, before the current nuts environment.  Anyway, that's a lot of storage and strength for the money.  I have a spot for it, I just need to pour some pads for the corners to sit on and figure out how to get it in there.  It is instant storage, waterproof, lockable.  You could put one on just cinder blocks or concrete blocks on the ground instead of pouring pads and have the whole thing useable in a day.  And I gotta feeling that bumfuq central Texas has no "building codes" or home owner's associations to worry about.  Another idea is an 18 wheeler trailer.  Just back it in and start storing stuff.

He got admitted later, but since then he hasn’t changed his tune. I guess cracks shoulda just taken the berating and not said anything! Anyway, yeah, we got along well till then. Seemed settled, the the patient advocate got involved and stirred it all up again. Am I doing any good? Yeah, I got one guy treated for his severe hypertension that was ignored, got one guy off a non-rebreather mask to exercise down to 8L oxygen via nasal cannula, and that’s just the last couple of weeks. 

I thought about the convex shipping containers, but prices are high right now. The house next door has a lien by the bank, but the elderly man in charge said they’d love to be out from under it. Back property tax is around $2200. A holding company paid 3 years worth of property taxes, and are owed 18% interest per year. They won’t talk about how much,!or if they’ll negotiate the amount since I don’t own it. Owned by a guy in the nursing home. His wife wanted $50,000; nope! I don’t know why that second picture shows upside dow? The place is one step above being condemned. I’m told the renters moved out because of a $600 utility bill in the summer.

8EA64F6A-E421-4D23-A188-E63B0F87BF56.jpeg

E69863A4-4101-42A9-B2D6-61D7A7EB4271.jpeg

Unless there is some historic or family reason to restore and you have VERY deep pockets, I would say pull it down and rebuild. Of course that assumes the land is worth it and that you can, not easy at this time, get supplies. Me? I would walk, Too old to do restore Home Depot stuff of 30 years ago.

karl

I don't write on this site much and you can rest assured that I appreciate everything you guys do for all of the members here.  But I have to finally speak up to say I would not let one bad apple ruin my retirement.  Everybody has some underlying thing that they want off their chest and you just happened to get dumped on by the individual for God only knows what.  Maybe he thinks if he screws up you chances of retirement he can feel better.  Don't let that happen to a guy like yourself that has gone way out of his way to make the world a better place for everyone you have touched!  I don't write much here as I have a hard time dealing with people as well, but this time I have to say for ten months you can do it.  As for the shots and losing your job, too close to home for me as I had this same argument with the Navy in 1977 after 8.5 years in about the "swine flu" shot.  I did win that one, but then got out anyway.  Tired of being told what they could do with my body without my input.  Hang in there Tony.  And the metal workshop sounds like a great idea.  Tinman( Michael) My brother was Swampthing on here ages ago.

• 4 weeks later...