Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Russian guns and ammo banned

FC

I still have a good supply of 762X39. It’s about ten or more years old. I won’t buy from Cheaper Than Dirt if there’s an alternative. They were the biggest gougers of all online ammo merchants. There was a lot of net chatter about CTD returning or canceling orders then offering the same merchandise at higher prices.

I sold all com block stuff under Obozo. I thought it was just a matter of time before this would happen. I hated to let my CZ52 go but I didn't want to have a gun I couldn't get ammo for. I set up to reload 7.63x54r berden primers. It was a big pain and effort than it was worth. 

Me? I think some bright PC in DC said "Have what guns you will; the Constitution prevents progressive action, but it says nothing of ammo. Without ammo you will have a poorly shaped club.

karl

Even cap and ball is getting hard to find.

Most Russian guns have been blocked from import for several years. It’s not anything new. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think it started with Clinton. The only exceptions we’re some sporting rifles and shotguns but I haven’t seen any new Baikal shotguns for sale in a long time. I do miss the Russian Makarov pistols that sold for about a hundred. My Russian Mak has an adjustable rear sight not found on the others. I did have one POS Russian Mak. It was chambered for 380 but the bore slugged .364 the correct bore size for the 9MM Mak bullet. I traded it away for a Russian made 410 O/U shotgun for my grandson. I had my mind set on one of the Russian O/U double barrel 30/06 rifles. The lightweight barrel alignment was up to the buyer saving the factory labor costs. Unfortunately after they became scarce the prices went sky high before I got a chance to buy one. Early 90’s they were about $275 + FFL and shipping. 

20 hours ago, karlunity said:

Me? I think some bright PC in DC said "Have what guns you will; the Constitution prevents progressive action, but it says nothing of ammo. Without ammo you will have a poorly shaped club.

karl

Even cap and ball is getting hard to find.

Well not exactly as I believe it was written somewhere the militia were required to have and maintain sufficient ball and powder. Karl you’re the history guy, was it in The Articles of Confederation or some other early US document. It could come in handy if it has to go to the Supremes.

Not that I know of AZ as people could make their own power and lead was not hard to get. Flint? pick it off the ground.

karl

Hope you are right Doc. but it can be make cost prohibited...if I can think of it the PC can

7 hours ago, karlunity said:

Not that I know of AZ as people could make their own power and lead was not hard to get. Flint? pick it off the ground.

karl

Hope you are right Doc. but it can be make cost prohibited...if I can think of it the PC can

State legislators could do it by adding a tax on each and every round. I believe it’s California that requires a back ground check to buy ammo. I imagine the next step might be adding a ridiculously high background check fee. I’m fairly confident it would be beat down in the courts but it could take years. 

I’m in good shape ammo wise. I’m guilty of being a hoarder during the Obozo shortages. I hoarded reloading components, primers especially. My current problem is my reloading gear and components are totally disorganized. Having a dispute with my X while she was moving out. I started cramming things into the former bedroom I made into my gun room. Between being lazy, lacking ambition, partially crippled and painful being on my feet for more than 30 or so minutes. I just haven’t got around to getting things back in order.

Sorry caught myself keyboard rambling again. I will now shut up!!!

Not a problem sir. If you cannot ramble around us  where can ya?

I got some as well every time I was i a store. The Hippy was not too happy but now she knows I was right,

Still not like the old days but not bad.

karl