Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Free stuff for the Taliban

FC

The whole operation is a cluster-f.  I predict the world's black markets will get the light weapons.  Rifles, grenade launchers, maybe some ammo.  They already have the supply chains worked out for their drug operations.  The helicopters will probably get sold to Iran, if I had to guess, or just rot away.  Fixed wing aircraft?  Same.  Maintenance is just too high on those things.  Vehicles will be run until they stop.  They're not Toyota Trucks, after all. 

Incidentally, the Taliban had completely stopped opium production before we went in and "fixed" them. 

I just find it hard to believe orders were not given to destroy everything left behind. I wonder if an order was passed down to not to destroy everything. With a bit of fuel and a match all the equipment could have been easily destroyed. 

During the Iranian hostage crisis a batch of mail from Iran to various aircraft manufactures. Was all marked refused and some how it all wound up in the Phoenix sectional center. From Phoenix it was “mistakenly” forwarded to an Indian Reservation near Gallop New Mexico. My guess it was likely the Iranians looking for spare parts. Chances are good our military likely left behind plenty of spare parts but sooner or later the Taliban of whomever like Iran that buys it will need parts. I’m certain China and Russia are on the ground in Afghanistan looking to back engineer US equipment. No telling what will be found on US computers. THX JOE

1 hour ago, FC said:

I’m thinking this was hardware for our allies in the Afghan military, which has crumbled.

Seems to me a few years ago during a battle the Afghanistan troops turned away and ran. They were pretty much branded as cowards by our news media. As reported later on Fox and other sources. Their officers all left a few days earlier, many of the soldiers hadn’t eaten in 2 or 3 days and finally after they were without water the US trained Afghani soldiers left. I saw a recent YouTube video where an American advisor and trainer complained bitterly about the drug use of the Afgani soldiers and their leaders. Given the circumstances of drug use and insipid leadership. It’s no wonder the Taliban came to power so quickly. 

I was never in the military but worked with many Veterans. The former officers that went into management were all respected, managed well and were true leaders. I just can’t imagine going into battle with no leadership and drugged up soldiers, I’d run too. I wonder if our US Military was turning a blind eye to the drug use. I can’t recall the exact details but best I recall two US soldiers were punished and were chastised by the lib press. The US soldiers stopped two Afgani soldiers raping 10 year old boys and beat them up in the process. If we had leadership like General Patton, he would have pinned a medal on the US soldiers. I’m not sure of the outcome but my best guess the Afgani soldiers got their wrist slapped. 

On 8/25/2021 at 11:45 PM, FC said:

I’m thinking this was hardware for our allies in the Afghan military, which has crumbled.

Just like in Vietnam "ARNVN rifles never fired and only dropped once" 

The soldiers didn't cave until their leaders did. 

I am looking at the History of Afghanistan

These are tribes  You think Akme is truly going to shoot his cousin?  And they know, they need only look at Nam to know. that sooner or later we must leave and any who worked for us would be treated as we treated the tories.  More their family or clan will be treated as turncoats. worse as they helped the Franks against Islam..Fellas they are not a forgiving people.  We would have left in any case. But Mr. Biden did a very very poor job of managing it.

Perhaps if we had conquered the place as we did Germany or Japan and rebuilt it from the ground up..but, we, under presidents from both parties are far far too kind and multicultural   these days to do that.

Once the SEALs( should have been Marines) got Bin Laden (in pakistan)  we should have declared mission done and left Afghanistan