Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Custom build, or 'the journey of 1000 miles.....

mr fixit

.....starts with a single footstep.   

I have already built my middle son his 'first deer rifle', that was back about 2009.  I have a younger son who I have always planned on doing the same, building his first deer rifle. I have been slow it getting going.  I have finally got my new shop at the house built and mostly up and running.  So, I am getting going.  This rifle plan has changed a bit as I have gotten into it.  I'm starting with an FN Greek 1930 action.  I bought a 'custom' rifle some years ago, basically because it had a very nice looking FN receiver.  The action had been rebarrled, but had a straight bolt handle on it.  The stock was very plain and didn't fit correctly.  So, I am basically starting with just the receiver.

20210809_161520.thumb.jpg.abc2ed651c98316c8ab08a0bd6123d9f.jpg20210809_161427.thumb.jpg.2c4fb51dba2aadc150371e24dfc6ff56.jpg20210809_161436.thumb.jpg.53dde9cce1da0d1be8f1e584d5406894.jpg

Interestingly to me, there is no serial number on the receiver.  It doesn't look to me like it has been ground or removed, just that it wasn't applied.  I have already made a call to the ATF, who told me what I already thought; specifically that it's not required and if I want I can add whatever serial number I want.  My plan is to laser engrave a serial number based on my son's initials.

I have already replaced the straight bolt handle. I bought several bolt handles years ago. I used one here. I was going for the 'original' German style straight down look.

549410344_mockup3.thumb.jpg.f18581c5d8072b42e876f97b7ed61b2e.jpg1358742999_mockup.thumb.jpg.0b75290c2d18e8a32170b35244157c59.jpg

That's the stock that the rifle came with.  I'm just using it here for a mock up.  You can also see the 3 position safety and scope rings I have.

The barrel that came with it looked bad, like it had been put on with a pipe wrench. There were literally wrench marks in it.  I didn't even know what caliber the barrel was, it wasn't marked.  Off it came.  Since I have a lathe, I made a fixture to true the receiver. 492790685_inlathe.thumb.jpg.2810a8c332d4ba23c646e0a761197974.jpg

I trued the face in the lathe, then turned the fixture into a mandrel to lap the inner shoulder.

Before:

626560467_receiverbefore.thumb.jpg.dd825bae7a345d8db8cd710874bf281d.jpg

And after:

2005039284_recfaceafter.thumb.jpg.df0815b0a457960cc443c602550055b9.jpg

714707383_receiverafter.thumb.jpg.b384237c1782d962efbf45aa377a28be.jpg

That looks nice.  I really like that safety. 

I have a FN receiver.  It's a put together rifle, probably no two parts from the same gun.  I think the receiver itself was likely originally sold to the Chinese.  It has the FN crest, and not too many of those were sold.  Under the wood, it's pretty ugly, which also fits with the Chinese origin.  Barrel is 7mm military, also FN, I think.  Maybe Brazilian.  Bolt is from some other Mauser, not FN, but was stamped to match the receiver serial, different font, of course.  I sort of have a plan to use it for a future project. 

I love those M-70 type safeties. Being a cheapskate I kick myself for pinching pennies on my 35 Whelen project and did the two stage instead of the three. I went way over budget on the McGowen premium cyro frozen barrel. I recently lucked into a FN 98 action and don’t know what the heck I want to do with it. 

9 hours ago, AzRednek said:

I love those M-70 type safeties. Being a cheapskate I kick myself for pinching pennies on my 35 Whelen project and did the two stage instead of the three. I went way over budget on the McGowen premium cyro frozen barrel. I recently lucked into a FN 98 action and don’t know what the heck I want to do with it. 

I'm actually debating on using that safety on this build.  I have a stock already for this rifle to use standard military bottom metal.  I have another project, a Yugo '48 and a full length Mannlicher style stock for it with no inletting for bottom metal.  I was planning on doing a blind magazine for that one.  If I go with the blind magazine, I'm thinking i want the 3 position safety for unloading live rounds.  

The stock for this build I have had for about 20 years. I got one from Richards Microfit all those years ago, I think it is semi fancy.  It has some nice color/figure that I'm looking forward to seeing done.  For a barrel on this project, I ended up going with a Lothar Walther barrel in 270.  Turns out it's coming from Germany so I guess it will be here when it gets here.  I'll get some pics of the stock up soon. 

In the mean time, I'm looking for opinions......  Do I keep the charger hump, or remove it?190161528_mockup3.thumb.jpg.cabbc2109536dfda6768aad5ec331b0c.jpg

If I keep it, I can contour the scope base to fit, If I remove it then of course I move the base forward just enough to fit.  I don't mind the look of having it, and of course I don't mind without it either.  I've seen some really nice sporters with the hump still intact.  Opinions? thoughts? would love to see more pics of others as well.

Scott

I've removed the stripper clip hump on several of my builds but I honestly cant say that it help with the looks. I'd leave it.

You may have to scallop the bolt handle  to clear your scope but, you'll figure that out when you mount a scope for mock-up.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:08 PM, ken98k said:

I've removed the stripper clip hump on several of my builds but I honestly cant say that it help with the looks. I'd leave it.

You may have to scallop the bolt handle  to clear your scope but, you'll figure that out when you mount a scope for mock-up.

Ken I cut the original handle as close to the root as I possibly could, right up to the chamfer.  I was hoping to keep from having to cut a contour in it.  But of course if it needs it it needs it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 5:04 AM, mr fixit said:

Ken I cut the original handle as close to the root as I possibly could, right up to the chamfer.  I was hoping to keep from having to cut a contour in it.  But of course if it needs it it needs it.

The bolt work looks very well done.