Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Baldwin

FC

There's a guy who writes for Firearms News (formerly SGN) that runs or ran a movie armorer company.  He has a very strict rule:  NO LIVE AMMO, ANYWHERE.  One movie, I forget which, they had hired a bunch of off duty cops as extras.  Some were on call and wanted to bring their guns/ammo in.  He flat out told them:  Do you want to be an actor or a cop?  No ammo.

Looks like they didn't follow the rule for this movie.

I’m still wondering if it was live ammo or was some kind of projectile launched by a blank. It will likely be a few years once the lawsuits begin before we hear the details. I also wonder if involuntary manslaughter charges will be filed. If it’s Baldwin with his money for lawyers and notoriety i’m sure he will walk away a free man.

Assistant director of Baldwin film fired from Northwest Arkansas movie set after gun went off

Dave Halls was fired from the production of "Freedom's Path" after a gun went off on set and wounded a film crew member.

PRAIRIE GROVE, Ark. — The assistant director who handed Alec Baldwin the gun that killed a cinematographer was fired from a movie set in Northwest Arkansas in 2019 for a similar incident. 

According to the Associated Press, Dave Halls was fired from the production of "Freedom's Path," which was shot entirely in Northwest Arkansas, after a gun went off on set and wounded a film crew member.

A producer for "Freedom's Path" told the AP that Halls was removed from the set following the gun being unexpectedly discharged. 

In the past, producers from other film productions have filed complaints about Hall for his "disregard of safety protocols," the AP reports. 

https://www.5newsonline.com/article/news/local/dave-halls-fired-movie-set-arkansas-gun-discharged-freedoms-path-alec-baldwin-rust/527-897746b7-d325-4a41-ae65-92c16f6b0184

Looks like they found someone to throw under the bus.

I’m sure the prosecutor is under pressure be it the police or victim’s family to charge someone with a crime. I think we can all agree that the responsibility lies with the trigger man. Once the civil actions begin there will probably be several people sharing the responsibility. Lawyers being lawyers will likely go after anybody with wealth or liability insurance. The lawyers won’t bother anybody that live paycheck to paycheck that will simply bankrupt away any award. 

I just heard an interesting angle tonight at my gun club meeting. It came from a member claiming to have some insider information. The inexperienced female assistant did not know the difference between a blank and a flush seated lead wad cutter. She assumed by not seeing a projectile it was a blank. It does make sense that revolvers altered to fire Hollywood blanks have something inside the cylinder blocking a cartridge with an exposed projectile from chambering may not have stopped the flush seated wad cutter. Don’t know if what the member said is true, if his source really has insider knowledge or is it some so called net expert was speculating.

• 5 weeks later...

I just saw the interview with Baldwin. His actions and lack of knowledge caused the firearm to go off. You can't pull a hammer back and then take your thumb off of it while the spring is under tension.  There shouldn't have been live ammunition on the set because that is just stupid. The hammer should have had the firing pin bobbed so that that way it couldn't have struck the primer but long and short him  cocking hammer back is what caused the firing pin to strike the primer and cause of round to go off. Like the old saying goes knowledge is power and stupid hurts for days

If he was telling the truth.  Violated one of the primary gun safety rules:  Never point at anything you are not willing to destroy.

I mean, who wudda thought that a 150 year old design wasn't quite as "safe" as a modern firearm?

Dumbassity with a deadly weapon. I’d like to hear from from veteran Holly Wood movie producers and stars what they think. No firearm training is result of what happened. If you had 20 6 year olds at a birthday party and park a car in middle of them and leave keys in it while the 2 adults are drinking wine and watching The View,, something BAD will happen. 

• 2 weeks later...

My guess the prosecutor will slow walk it knowing he will be going against high powered defense lawyers. Maybe something similar to OJ’s dream team. I imagine there are probably some negotiations currently going on between Baldwin’s lawyers and prosecutors before he is actually charged with anything. 

On 12/16/2021 at 1:20 AM, AzRednek said:

My guess the prosecutor will slow walk it knowing he will be going against high powered defense lawyers. Maybe something similar to OJ’s dream team. I imagine there are probably some negotiations currently going on between Baldwin’s lawyers and prosecutors before he is actually charged with anything. 

I think you're right.

Rob