Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser 95 rear sight set screw hole

Horsefly

On the barrel?  How do you plan on finishing?  A paint on or blue?  If a paint on, about anything will work, JB weld, etc.  If you're going to touch up the bluing or reblue it, then you need to have a steel that will hopefully match the barrel, so botttoming out the screw then filing the head off flush with the barrel would probably be best.

How about reinstalling the original screw, Locktite it in places. Very carefully Dermal/file it to the finished condition of barrel. This way you will have a perfect fit and match for blueing. Lots of detail work but the end result should be perfect. 

13 hours ago, rdm1962 said:

How about reinstalling the original screw, Locktite it in places. Very carefully Dermal/file it to the finished condition of barrel. This way you will have a perfect fit and match for blueing. Lots of detail work but the end result should be perfect. 

Be great... if it was a threaded hole...Only ones I am aware of are a Pilot hole...the end of the screw wgere it mates, is Not Threaded...

A Nail, bearing mount Loctite, peened then dressed... Done.

• 2 weeks later...

I tapped the sight set hole 8-32, then not having bottom tap I ground it flat to get as many threads as possible. Put a little JB weld in hole and tightened it real snug, then filed and polished. Still has half a ghost ring but it’s a military barrel.