Military Firearm Restoration Corner

It went Bang . And Hit the Paper.

Downwindtracker2

I thought to give a report. A project rifle rewarded me with an good group, on target no less. The rifle is M96-M38 II, a made in 1944 Husqvarna . As it was raining, I didn't chrony it.  I had a heel of left over RL-19 and a few Sierra 140 BTSP . I still have some RL-19 so next load will be Core-Locs 140s. I'm using up a mixed batch of bullets bought at a gunshow. I used 44grs of RL-19

A 6.5x55 . Even the Weaver 4x , a 60B, worked. I had it rebuilt years ago and never mounted. A gunsmith friend of mine had a comment, "How come the guys in El Paso could make a scope that tracked, whereas those in Beaverton Oregon couldn't ?" Mind you, with 4x, I needed fat lines.  I make up my own targets from dollar store poster paper and a  Sharpie , this time it was the 1" Sharpie. 

I was very pleased. The rifle is a true project. It started out as imported from Sweden sporter . It had a side trigger block safety installed. There must have been a kit available in Sweden.  I was unsuccessful at converting it to cock-on-open.  I followed the instructions too closely., they were more  of a general idea ,so I ended up messing up the bolt. I found a turned down bolt on the web, and then checked the headspace.The gauge was a month clearing custom , held up on both sides.  I then fitted and bedded  it to a gunshow find , Husqvarna 1600 stock. That original stock proved that not all Swedes had good taste. The shimming the scope bases took some trips to the range. I don't think I will make a hinged floor plate, but I will make release button. They are easy, just a piece of longer 1/4" round stock with an offset oval at the end .

Great report Mr. Tracker. I have 2 96’s battle ready and a 38 Husqvarna. Just finished a 96 for hog hunting that’s a sweet shooting little rifle. Composite stock, cut barrel to 22”. It was gunshow find that had bolt forged and drilled and tapped for scope, so was easy to make a hunting rig. Yours sounds like a hum-dinger-roo !