Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New to me coffee tip

Horsefly

My brother had coffee recently with the old West Texas rancher we lease hunting from and said it was the best coffee he’s ever had. Old feller said he puts a pinch of cinnamon in the grounds. My brother has had coffee all over the world and was way impressed, so I had to try it. I already drink way too much and this trick will make me double up. Can’t even taste the cinnamon. It takes the harshness (only way I can describe it) out. Might even make Starbucks ok for me. The rancher is near 90 and almost blind but sure knows coffee. He rides 4wheeler 1/4 mile to mailbox by listening to tires on gravel. He owns 3,000 acres and his boots are wrapped with duct tape. One cool old man. We made a great friend with the hunting being a great bonus. 

I wonder if that isn’t the trick to best I ever had from a mom and pop coffee shop. If you asked the proprietor for his recipe he’d try and sell an expensive coffee maker from Sweden and outrageously priced frozen coffee beans and a grinder. A former girlfriend fell for it. She made a great cup of coffee with her fancy machine and African beans but couldn’t quite duplicate it. I’ve heard just a pinch of baking soda takes away the harshness but all it did for me was make it taste salty. I’ll try the cinnamon tomorrow morning. 

Thought I put way too much in this morning but didn’t hurt it. AZ, remember before we could buy a Coke anytime we wanted or grab one outta the icebox just because we are thirsty? You had to drink something all day just to survive Texas and most especially Arizona heat so most kept a pitcher of tea that would taste funky if left over from day before. My Grandma would put tiny bit of baking soda in it at night and it would be ok until about noon next day. After that very rank. Sorry for running my head. AZ jarred loose memories talking about baking soda in coffee. 

I got it right this morning Jim. Put on my cheaters and pinched the cinnamon instead of shaking it. Thought there’s no way I’ll taste that little dab. Perfect. The good deep well water at huntin lease makes good coffee on its own.