Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bolt "buttress thread" chasing

Racepres

Anyone have a home shop method to chase the internal "buttress" thread inside of a Small Ring Bolt??

Acquired one from a friend that was probably misheated... when modifying the bolt.. the Shroud will Not screw in... None around here will!!!

Or... I will cut the handle off (it is a decent store bought example).. and toss the bolt I guess!!!

Thanks

What about a spare shroud with fine valve grinding compound. Works on barrels and sometimes you think no way. Just paint some on threads and start twisting in and out by hand. I have a thread chaser but can’t remember large or small ring I’ll look in a bit and let you know. If shroud won’t even try to start, think I’d be looking for another bolt. That’s a lot of heat. 

I have this and it screws into 93 bolt. Had it over 30 years and don’t remember what I bought it for. Let me know if you want me to send it. Looks like a thread chaser to me. 

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I have this and it screws into 93 bolt. Had it over 30 years and don’t remember what I bought it for. Let me know if you want me to send it. Looks like a thread chaser to me. 

No Pic on this end... But, if it looks like it will chase threads.. I would love to try it.. I would try the Valve grinding compound, (like with a Barrel) but.. I would only do that with one that they were gonna stay mated to.. if it cleans up...then maybe another shroud..

It does start... goes a ways then gets exceedingly Tight!!

Drop me a PM with Cost of Shipping... I believe you gots the address...But... LMK

Thanks..

18 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I thought it might be a heat sink but way way different than the one I have for 98’s. I put a file on it snd is soft. Sorry !

Certainly No Reason for Sorry!!

Good to Know you have one for a large ring... I may need to Rent that sucker... prolly yet this winter!!

• 4 weeks later...